SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
What parts of Comodo do you use. It might be a total overkill to use VS with it if you have autosandbox on(proactive profile) especially when you also have HMPA.
Other than that all seem great. Listary is great also and kills windows index.

askmark

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
What parts of Comodo do you use. It might be a total overkill to use VS with it if you have autosandbox on(proactive profile)

To be honest I'm a complete CFW newbie!

I mainly installed it for the Firewall as I wanted something which gave greater control and visibility than WFW. I'm working my way through the copious amount of settings and have only enabled the HIPS, leaving auto Sandbox off for now. Hopefully there's an easy way to Sandbox stuff on demand?
I must say the Comodo is going to take some getting used to as it's not like any other firewall I've used in the past.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
To be honest I'm a complete CFW newbie!
I mainly installed it for the Firewall as I wanted something which gave greater control and visibility than WFW. I'm working my way through the copious amount of settings and have only enabled the HIPS, leaving auto Sandbox off for now. Hopefully there's an easy way to Sandbox stuff on demand?
I must say the Comodo is going to take some getting used to as it's not like any other firewall I've used in the past.
Don't do hips is annoying and has no use for your setup. In my opinion you have 2 options.
Use Comodo with only the firewall enabled with VS and HMPA or Comodo with sandbox on(proactive profile) and HMPA and you remove VS.

askmark

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Don't do hips is annoying and has no use for your setup. In my opinion you have 2 options.
Use Comodo with only the firewall enabled with VS and HMPA or Comodo with sandbox on(proactive profile) and HMPA and you remove VS.
Thanks for the advice.
So the HIPS has no benefit because I'm covered by existing software?
I could never drop VS :eek: so it would have to be option 1.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for the advice.
So the HIPS has no benefit because I'm covered by existing software?
I could never drop VS :eek: so it would have to be option 1.
Yes, you absolutely don't need HIPS for your setup. They provide no information to help us to decide
VS is a HIPS replacement with detail to help you to decide
CF, you just need to use autosandbox and firewall

askmark

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Nice set up.
Which add-on's are you using to watch films in kodi?
I just learned about it and i 've been told that i need to install add-on's to watch movies
Thank you ;)
I use Exodus for movies. You can add it separately but I used the Fusion Installer from TV Addons which installs and configures Kodi with everything you'd ever need and more.

askmark

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Yes, you absolutely don't need HIPS for your setup. They provide no information to help us to decide
VS is a HIPS replacement with detail to help you to decide
CF, you just need to use autosandbox and firewall
Thanks @Evjl's Rain for the advice. I will disable the HIPS.

Before I enable autosandbox are there any settings I should change or are the defaults sufficient?

Thanks for the tip. I will try it later or tomorrow;)
You're welcome. You should find it really makes the Kodi setup a whole lot simpler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks @Evjl's Rain for the advice. I will disable the HIPS.

Before I enable autosandbox are there any settings I should change or are the defaults sufficient?
I never use comodo so I don't know how to set it up properly
you can follow cruelsister's settings. just keep comodo simple because the more we change the settings, the more buggy it is
I would rather use comodo cloud AV with AV module disabled. The default autosandbox settings of CCAV (unchangeable, a bit more restricted than partially restricted) is better than the default settings of CF (partially restricted) and it's sufficient enough. If we increase the autosandbox restriction to highly restricted or untrusted, many apps won't be able to run
the downside of CCAV is it doesn't have firewall

anyone please correct me if I'm wrong :)
I just read and repeat what people have discussed about comodo

did you uncheck "Automatically allow by parent process" in voodooshield? if not, you should uncheck it because the autosandbox may turn VS close to useless

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Very strong configuration although the choice should go between Voodoshield and Comodo Firewall.

Comodo Firewall by default is wide open from configuration meanwhile Voodoshield limits at default configuration unless purchase for PRO version.

Reactions: Svoll and askmark

askmark

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
did you uncheck "Automatically allow by parent process" in voodooshield? if not, you should uncheck it because the autosandbox may turn VS close to useless

Yes I did. But thanks for reminding me of the implications of not doing so.

Enable proactive profile and you are basically done.

That simple. I like it. I really didn't want to delve into too many settings so 'one' is enough!

Very strong configuration although the choice should go between Voodoshield and Comodo Firewall.

Comodo Firewall by default is wide open from configuration meanwhile Voodoshield limits at default configuration unless purchase for PRO
I agree. I'm only going to use the firewall part of Comodo Firewall.

I have the PRO version :)

Last edited:

askmark

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Update:
Comodo Firewall - all protections disabled, except for firewall
Added:
Shadow Defender as an on demand virtualization tool

Reactions: Svoll and tonibalas

askmark

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Looks good! You don't backup data?
Thank you. I don't really have any data that's worth backing up separately. The application configuration settings are what's most important and they are included in the image backups.

Reactions: Svoll
F

ForgottenSeer 55778

I don't really either. Just curious. Most of my stuff is stored on the drive, so if I ever get infected (never before), then I can just clean install, no problem.

Reactions: Svoll
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.