Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"Built entirely on GNU/Linux technologies, AsteroidOS offers a very basic, spartan experience. It features notification mirroring and a few apps like a calendar, calculator, and weather to get you by. In its current state, it's a neat project, but the best I can say for real-world use is that it works. When compared to watchOS, Wear OS, and Tizen, it has a very, very long way to go. Luckily, the developer knows this and has a few additions planned for future updates."

Conclusion: A fun project, but still a long way to go

AsteroidOS is a neat project, one that I have no problem recommending you try out on a spare device. It hearkens back to the old days of Android Wear with both improvements and missing features. The best part is that it's stable — I had more trouble with my Watch Style needing reboots than my Urbane with AsteroidOS. Its biggest pain point is the lack of actionable notifications, which is the primary reason I can't use it as a daily driver. I rely too heavily on wrist-based notification triage.

Though it's been a long time in the making, I applaud Florent Revest, the developer behind the project, for his tenacity. Some of the planned features are already on the website, such as always-on display, grouped notifications (like for Gmail), and calendar sync. Even a voice assistant is planned for the future, and odds are, it'll still be better than S Voice.

The solid foundation and open nature of AsteroidOS means that a strong community can continue to develop around the project. Revest hopes that this means that the people out there can do some cool stuff with the platform. He seems determined to push AsteroidOS along in the right direction, but time will tell how well it succeeds. For now, I'll gladly keep an eye on its status and how it evolves in the near future.

Via AsteroidOS 1.0 is a promising open-source smartwatch OS with plenty of room for improvement

Homepage: Hack your wrist - AsteroidOS
Twitter: AsteroidOS (@AsteroidOS) | Twitter

Edit: At the time of posting, asteroidos.org didn't load. It's working, must be MS Edge that is crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.