Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Asustek has announced that it will ship three models of its Eee PC with Ubuntu 10.10 preinstalled.

Canonical announced Asus' decision to load the Eee PC 1001PXD, 1011PX and 1015PX with Ubuntu 10.10 from 1 June as one that will "make it one of the most user-friendly PCs on the market". Previously the majority of Asus Eee PC netbooks came preloaded with Microsoft's Windows operating system, although it wasn't always that way.

When Asus introduced the Eee PC back in 2007, it shipped with the Xandros Linux distribution, however once Microsoft realised that netbooks were becoming a big seller, it came out with a cut down version of its Windows operating system. Since then the majority of netbooks sold have been preloaded with Microsoft's operating system, however it seems that Linux on netbooks is having something of a renaissance.

P_500.jpg

http://www.asus.com/Eee/
Read more

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
That might be interesting to buy and use. Being Ubuntu, of what I have tired of it is great.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It will be a different taste from the customers since most laptop are preinstalled with Windows.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
V36O9.jpg

Cool to know Jack, I think netbooks are so cute looking, Would like to get one soon and if it comes with ubuntu I'm perfectly fine with it.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
thx for share Jack
:D
my ubuntu latest version installed on old machine and work fine

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
That's good to see! Hopefully others will follow suit. I've long thought that users need more options when it comes to pre-installed OS's.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I think this is a good decision. Ubuntu seems more fitted for netbooks than Windows 7: lower hardware requirements, lower price.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
bogdan said:
I think this is a good decision. Ubuntu seems more fitted for netbooks than Windows 7: lower hardware requirements, lower price.
Very true, and this is the main reason why Asus choose do ship the Eee Pc's with Unbutu on them.
Right now this Eee PC's are delivered with Windows 7 Starter Edition which is a significantly stripped-down version of Windows 7 and was designed by Microsoft to be used exclusively on netbook computers.

However their is a problem....not all Eee PC's users are,lets say "geeks"....What will happen if my mother or your mother will buy a one?...
Lets keep in mind that to run a Linux OS , you still need to make some effort..Compatibility with Windows is one of the biggest problems that Linux has....I know WINE...but do you think my mother knows? :)

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
One of the mistakes I did as a novice Linux user was to try and find similar apps to those that I used on Windows, or run Windows apps using wine. At first, I never gave the default distro apps a fair chance. Sure, Wine works but it isn't as enjoyable (at least to me) and as easy to use. If you use the netbook for work (and your company probably uses Windows) Ubuntu might not work since Libre Office is not quite fully compatible with Ms. Office, especially when it comes to complex work documents. But why would you want to do all that on a 10" screen anyway? For surfing the web, sending e-mail, listening to music, etc. Ubuntu is as good as any other OS.

Windows 7 Starter has some limitations including the inability to change your desktop background, no Aero interface... it is basically designed for doing the basics.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
bogdan said:
Windows 7 Starter has some limitations including the inability to change your desktop background, no Aero interface... it is basically designed for doing the basics.

Correct bogdan, but there is a tool that can change your desktop background.

Link

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bogdan said:
One of the mistakes I did as a novice Linux user was to try and find similar apps to those that I used on Windows, or run Windows apps using wine. At first, I never gave the default distro apps a fair chance.

Yes, this is the key. :)

With the exception of games, there are usually some perfectly acceptable replacements for your Windows apps in the repositories if they aren't already bundled with your distro.

Instead of just jumping onto the Wine train to turn your Linux install into Windows, try some alternatives first. You'll likely be surprised at how good some of these applications are.

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
This isn't really an alternative to windows. These things were originally slated for release with Android. In sort it's just a more powerful android tablet that's getting Ubuntu instead of that limited OS.

This is just the beginning I'm sure. Today Ubuntu, tomorrow someone finds a way to drop any Linux OS on it. :p

Turns out they wanted to use Windows Compact 7... BWAHAHAHA!!!! There is nothing compact about windows, it should only be used on a desktop or laptop... not these things though. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Other companies like ASUS must shipped a laptop with a Linux OS like Ubuntu so customers may encourage to check it.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Other companies like ASUS must shipped a laptop with a Linux OS like Ubuntu so customers may encourage to check it.

The big problem is Micro$oft. Their licensing agreements with OEM's is pretty strangling. I remember way back when IBM had their own OS, (OS/2) they couldn't even configure any of their new systems to ship with it. They could sell it along with a new system, but the user would have to install it themselves. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.