Advice Request Atlas OS

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

Atlas is a Windows 10 "version" stripped down for lower end pc and gamers. But they can't really be stripping down true win10 code can they, I mean they don't have access to code, correct? several websites have it including github. I had never of until I got an email from Techspot discussing it. I'm thinking perhaps it is a good Guest OS with VMWare or VirtualBox?? I tried searching MT and I did not find it as a thread, but maybe I missed it? Anyone know about?

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I only remembered the name from a recent german article. Betriebssystem für Spieler: AtlasOS möchte das bessere Windows 10 sein
Cons they listed: MS Defender removed !, Bitlocker disabled, Data Execution Prevention disabled. Meltdown/Spectre fixes disabled. They didn't test if it was faster.
good info, and if I installed Atlas OS as Guest OS in VMWare, I wouldn't care that Defender, et al, were missing. One of the links I looked at showed it using much less resources on pc.

Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
not sure, but on first quick read of install notes, I got the impression it overwrites your win10 system. I could be wrong, in any event, I lost interest.

Reactions: cryogent

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Atlas OS is actually a custom Windows 10 distribution, based on the open-source software available on the internet. The developers have modified the system files, removed default applications and services, and added their own packages to create a more lightweight and optimized version of Windows 10.

As for using Atlas OS in a virtual environment, there shouldn't be any issues with that. You can download the ISO file from their website and use it to create a virtual machine in VMware or VirtualBox. However, keep in mind that Atlas OS is not an officially supported version of Windows by Microsoft, so you may encounter some compatibility issues with certain software or hardware.

Reactions: cryogent and Jack

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Updates:
Earlier today we covered AtlasOS, a lightweight Windows 10 gaming OS that disables important features like Windows Defender and System Restore. With the latest update, version 22H2 v0.2, Atlas has removed some more features like Microsoft OneDrive, and Edge, though there are many improvements and additions too. For example, Hyper-V and VBS scripts have been fixed, and it has received special optimizations geared towards SSDs and HDDs.

The full changelog is given below:

Homepage
Downloads Windows 10 and Also Windows 11 Soon

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Yesterday, we covered the AtlasOS, a lightweight version of Windows 10, which is designed for gaming. However, there was a lot of criticism, and a lot of it fair, about how Atlas, the developers of AtlasOS, managed to achieve this. In order to lower the footprint of the modded OS, Atlas had stripped away important components of the OS like System Restore and Windows Defender.

Following the criticism though, Atlas has confirmed that it has changed its mind after stating a few days ago that Defender "was not going to be added any time soon". In fact, not only has Atlas backtracked on this, but the dev believes the new OS could potentially allow it to be even more secure than stock Windows itself.

The rest

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.