AtlBo's Security Configuration

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I am using Private Firewall set to show all alerts in place of UAC. It does the exact same thing only the messages are in greater detail. Nothing against UAC I promise...
PrivateFirewall can be easily disabled with the mouse.

@Dirk41 Windows Defender built-in to Windows Vista and 7 is only Anti-Spyware and isn't practical for on-demand scanning.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks for the posts. How do I edit my config if I turn on UAC?

One question. Do all exploits circumvent UAC? It seems like they would automatically, since they aren't a process to speak of. Then again, I guess the exploit could/would run into UAC depending on what it attempts(?). That said, if it does, does it appear to be another process, like browser or some installed program or important/harmless process? I'd like to understand UAC a little bit better, but I assume that ransomeware is bypassing UAC with no problem.

I understand that UAC is a first line of defense and potentially helpful in that way. I would like to know more about the actual protection set of UAC, however.

@Dirk41 Windows Defender built-in to Windows Vista and 7 is only Anti-Spyware and isn't practical for on-demand scanning.

On Defender, I am using the built-in Windows 7 version. It updates and runs every day at 2 AM, so I guess it's not technically on demand. However, it is there available for scans, and I think of it more for that purpose if anything. SAS isn't installed. Sorry about the confusion on that. I don't have any on demand scanners installed, other than Malwarebytes Pro, which is also active protection o/c. 360 TS has a scanner also that I use sometimes with Bitdefender and Avira engines enabled.

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014

I really appreciate this comment. I have thought about it numerous times. Is there any program that can block attempts to shut down a process/program like Private Firewall? I assume the most important element of PF is the service, which I know runs even if the GUI is shut down. I get normal pop ups even with the GUI closed. I'll have to check on the service module to see what happens with that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.