Atma's Config

Atma

Thread author
Oct 13, 2011
Still looking for the best A/V solution. I hated Norton's years ago. It has improved a lot since I last used it.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
For on demand scanner, you have incorrectly listed ccleaner. An on-demand scanner is something like Malwarebytes' or HitmanPro. I suggest you add both of these.

Also, I suggest you upgrade to the latest version of IE (IE9) even if you don't use it regularly.

Norton 360 is a good product. It's maintenance features (tuneup etc) may not be the best, but it provides excellent protection :)

You could also add WOT to you setup, which will help you avoid unsafe websites.

Atma

Thread author
Oct 13, 2011
Tomo172 said:
For on demand scanner, you have incorrectly listed ccleaner. An on-demand scanner is something like Malwarebytes' or HitmanPro. I suggest you add both of these.

Also, I suggest you upgrade to the latest version of IE (IE9) even if you don't use it regularly.

Thanks, I'll try those and it is IE9 I have. Been a long day. :blush:

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Tomo172 said:

WOT wont be needed with Norton because it already has safeweb included doesnt it? and also you could add a DNS like Comodo DNS or Norton DNS. Also you use CCleaner do you use CCEnhancer with it? if not you may want to look into that too.

Atma

Thread author
Oct 13, 2011
imsoadude said:
WOT wont be needed with Norton because it already has safeweb included doesnt it? Also you use CCleaner do you use CCEnhancer with it?

Yes, it does have safeweb. Thanks for the CCEnhancer tip. Hadn't heard of it but just got it. ;)

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
imsoadude said:
Tomo172 said:

WOT wont be needed with Norton because it already has safeweb included doesnt it? and also you could add a DNS like Comodo DNS or Norton DNS. Also you use CCleaner do you use CCEnhancer with it? if not you may want to look into that too.

Good point, however I have seen many cases where Safe Web doesn't alert you to some malicious sites. WOT can be a bit on the paranoid side, but I think both of them together make a good team.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well you can add EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experienced Toolkit) for hardening to protect against exploit for the well known applications.

WOT can be helpful since its a reputation base so especially users went from non existent site can generally gave information.

There is no problem if used between Norton Safeweb and WOT. (As I used them both before)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Norton 360 is a strong suite which should be able to keep you safe with no problems.What other security products have you used in the past.. ?

You really need to add some on-demand scanners to your config, Tomo172 suggested MBAM and Hitman which are very good , so you should really install them:

Here is a few addons which you can add to Firefox (if you don't already have them):)

Additional browser protection:
VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.

Adblock Plus (Free) - link
Adblock is a content-filtering extension for Mozilla Firefox- and Mozilla Application Suite-based web browsers. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

You can increase your online privacy by using Ghostery :
Ghostery (Free) -link
Ghostery is your window into the invisible web – tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons that are included on web pages in order to get an idea of your online behavior.
Ghostery tracks the trackers and gives you a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity.
You can read here a review on Ghostery

You should give Sandboxie try, really useful when opening to unknown/suspicious apps or going to shady sites (not that you should do that ..but it happens:p)
Watch the below video with Sandboxie at work :

Virtualization:
Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

FrontPageAnimation.gif

FrontPageLegend.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.