Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
BBC News said:
Thousands of Australians have received a "death threat" text, demanding they pay 5,000 Australian dollars ($5,140, £3,311) or face being murdered.

The scale of the scam has surprised the police authorities.

At a press conference in Queensland, Det Supt Brian Hay said: "Do not respond. Delete it immediately and don't panic... because that's what they prey upon."

The fraud is believed to be the work of an organised crime gang.

The message, which began to hit people's phones on Monday, reads: "Sum1 paid me to kill you. Get spared, 48hrs to pay $5000. If you inform the police or anybody, death is promised."

It directs people to a Yahoo email account which police have now disabled.

Mr Hay told reporters that enquiries were ongoing as to whether the criminals were based in Australia.

Some people had already fallen for the scam, mainly those with little experience of text messaging, he revealed.

Read more on BBC News

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Wow, that's pretty stupid. The surest way to ensure that law enforcement will do absolutely everything in their power to hunt you down is to start threatening to murder people...

P

Plexx

I wonder if McLovin and MrXidus received it.

Actually I am curious to how is the infrastructure and security related aspects of Australia's government. I know that they are very proud of their Fauna and have extreme control of immigration etc.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
HeffeD said:
Wow, that's pretty stupid. The surest way to ensure that law enforcement will do absolutely everything in their power to hunt you down is to start threatening to murder people...

Stupid and callous. This is the most brazen scam I've read about yet.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nah, not received any of these, but a friend did, thought that someone was after him. Happens in Australia, you get people sending text messages and or phone calls that will intend to hurt people and just want to ring you to waste your time. What I've done before when some company has rung my I have left the phone on but put it next to some music and left it. I know that Trend does it, but don't know about other AV's for Android but you can block what calls and messages that you get on your phone.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
No Biozfear, I didn't get this.

I have a Restrictive Numbers Allowed setting with my Android (root feature), Only mobile/home numbers I've pre-defined into the list can call or text me.

The list contains all family and friends and of course my doctor. Thanks. ;)

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I haven't got one yet, but still hoping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.