Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Federal MPs' emails and data may have been compromised by a cyber attack on Parliament that is being described as "sophisticated", suggesting the involvement of a foreign government.

While sources said it was too early to say who was behind the attack, they said the fact that Parliament had significantly upgraded its cyber defences since an attack by Chinese intelligence agencies in 2011 suggested the latest hackers were highly skilled.

The Australian Signals Directorate, the government's key agency on cybersecurity, moved swifty in recent days to lock down and protect the network, it is understood. The agency's Director-General, Mike Burgess, was in Parliament on Friday morning, as was Alastair MacGibbon, head of the Australian Cyber Security Centre.

The top MPs who oversee Parliament confirmed that security agencies were now investigating the incident and urgent action has been taken to protect the network, including the changing of all passwords.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChemicalB

Level 8
Verified
Sep 14, 2018
Data breaches occur for several reasons: social engineering attacks, application/server vulnerabilities, lack of controls on physical security, weak credentials, etc. If there are these vulnerabilities, then data breaches will continue.

In the end, I think it is not so important who are the attackers and where they are, but the fact is that there is information that they want and they have skills to get them.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Blaming other countries is just a trick to cover up own incompetence. If they blame some other country then the people will get angry on them (the other country), but if some group is blamed then that will bring out the incompetence of the government agencies.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Or maybe the system admin's kid who grabbed his father's phone and books where all passwords are stored/written and sold it off to hacker to buy XS Max and Xbox.

More than likely is was the admins' kid who did the hacking. :eek: All i've been reading about lately is kids doing a lot of hacking, they are so much more advanced that any of us ever were at that age ................ but then again, i'm of dinosaur age so that wouldn't be too difficult.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
More than likely is was the admins' kid who did the hacking. :eek: All i've been reading about lately is kids doing a lot of hacking, they are so much more advanced that any of us ever were at that age ................ but then again, i'm of dinosaur age so that wouldn't be too difficult.
Well, if you had access to a PC or smartphone as early as age 5 then you can do it as well! I had it at 7-8 years of age and it was dead and in High school at the age of 16-17.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Well, if you had access to a PC or smartphone as early as age 5 then you can do it as well! I had it at 7-8 years of age and it was dead and in High school at the age of 16-17.[/QUOTE

I was too busy playing with toys at age 5. They didn't even have computers when i was at school, we used a slate and chalk :p

They were probably using Windows 7

W7 is a good OS although i have nothing to compare it to as i have never used anything else and it's just a pity that support for it is going to end. I dread the day when i have to go to W10, i will be plagued with the problems that everyone else has when updating and i am not looking forward to dealing with that :emoji_fearful:[/QUOTE

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
W7 is a good OS although i have nothing to compare it to as i have never used anything else and it's just a pity that support for it is going to end. I dread the day when i have to go to W10, i will be plagued with the problems that everyone else has when updating and i am not looking forward to dealing with that :emoji_fearful:
Do not be afraid, you are MT member.(y):giggle:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
W7 is a good OS although i have nothing to compare it to as i have never used anything else and it's just a pity that support for it is going to end. I dread the day when i have to go to W10, i will be plagued with the problems that everyone else has when updating and i am not looking forward to dealing with that :emoji_fearful:

+1 with @Andy Ful . And remember this: "If @oldschool can do it, anyone can do it!" :LOL::LOL::LOL:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.