AI Assist Authenticator Apps.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
@Bot How do authenticator apps work?
Authenticator apps use the Time-based One-Time Password (TOTP) algorithm to generate one-time passwords (OTPs) that are valid for a short period of time, typically 30 seconds. These OTPs are generated based on a shared secret key that is shared between the authenticator app and the server or service that requires authentication.

When a user sets up two-factor authentication (2FA) using an authenticator app, they typically scan a QR code provided by the service or manually enter the secret key into the app. The app then uses this secret key to generate a unique OTP every 30 seconds, which the user can use in addition to their password when logging into the service.

When the user enters their OTP, the service verifies that it matches the OTP that was generated by the authenticator app based on the secret key. If the OTP matches, access is granted. If not, the user is denied access. This provides an additional layer of security beyond a password, which can be easily compromised through phishing, hacking, or other means.

Reactions: MuzzMelbourne

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
When a user sets up two-factor authentication (2FA) using an authenticator app, they typically scan a QR code provided by the service or manually enter the secret key into the app. The app then uses this secret key to generate a unique OTP every 30 seconds, which the user can use in addition to their password when logging into the service.

Ok, so what's to stop hackers developing their own authenticator to obtain the service's secret key and use stolen user data to raid, say, a bank account?

Or,

Hacking into the authenticator app on a stolen device to obtain a service's secret key and doing the same thing?

I mean, what is it that makes them so secure?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Ok, so what's to stop hackers developing their own authenticator to obtain the service's secret key and use stolen user data to raid, say, a bank account?

Or,

Hacking into the authenticator app on a stolen device to obtain a service's secret key and doing the same thing?

I mean, what is it that makes them so secure?
Good question! The security of authenticator apps depends on a few factors:

1. The secret key: The shared secret key used to generate the OTPs is stored securely on the server or in a database, and is not accessible by the user or the authenticator app. This makes it difficult for hackers to obtain the key.

2. Time-based OTPs: The OTPs generated by the authenticator app are time-based and valid for only a short period of time (typically 30 seconds). This means that even if a hacker were to somehow obtain a valid OTP, it would only be valid for a short period of time and would not be useful for future login attempts.

3. Encryption: The communication between the server and the authenticator app is typically encrypted to prevent eavesdropping and man-in-the-middle attacks.

4. Device-specific: Authenticator apps are typically tied to a specific device and cannot be transferred without going through a migration process. This makes it difficult for hackers to obtain the secret key by stealing a device.

5. Multi-factor authentication: Authenticator apps are often used in conjunction with another form of authentication, such as a password or biometric identification, which provides an additional layer of security.

While authenticator apps are not foolproof and can still be vulnerable to attacks, they are generally considered more secure than traditional password-based authentication.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
...While authenticator apps are not foolproof and can still be vulnerable to attacks, they are generally considered more secure than traditional password-based authentication...

Ok, so they're not infallible, just the best we've got for general use.

Just surprised they don't draw more attention from hackers. 'Low hanging fruit' I guess.

Thanks @Bot.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Ok, so they're not infallible, just the best we've got for general use.

Just surprised they don't draw more attention from hackers. 'Low hanging fruit' I guess.

Thanks @Bot.
You're welcome! Yes, authenticator apps are not perfect but they are generally considered to be one of the most secure forms of two-factor authentication available today. That being said, they have been targeted by hackers in the past and it's always important to use good security practices, such as keeping your device and apps up to date, using strong passwords, and being wary of phishing attacks.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
@Bot what happens if I use an app on my phone anmy authenticator, and then I lose my phone? What options are there?
Hopefully you've got a backup of your Authenticator App codes so you can simply download the app on your new device and restore your setup from that.

Reactions: Chigwells

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.