Question Is Microsoft Authenticator a good alternative to Authy?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Like some other posters, I am disappointed that the Authy desktop app is being discontinued.

I was hoping to install the Android version on Windows 11 desktop but it seems that isn't possible because Authy isn't available in Amazon App Store. I understand that Microsoft Authenticator is available on the Amazon App Store and therefore (in theory) could run on a Windows 11 desktop computer.

When Authy was first released, it had the advantage of being one of the only authenticator apps to a) provide cloud backups and b) allow synchronisation between multiple devices. Microsoft and Google Authenticators didn't have this feature at the time and there were reports of people losing their devices and being permanently locked out of their accounts.

However, does Microsoft Authenticator now include cloud backup and synchronisation features? Is it now just as good as Authy?

I'd be grateful to hear feedback from people who have experience of using both.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
But even though Authy no longer has a desktop app, the Android version still syncs, correct? It shows my Accounts as being backed up from the Setting tab. I take it if I lost the app somehow, or switched phones, I would just need to use the same phone number and password and it would restore my accounts from its servers. For me, it's the loss of the convenience of the desktop app that is a bit annoying. Otherwise, I'll still use Authy and have it be separate from an all-in-one type of password manager/authenticator for security's sake, at least IMO.

Last edited:

Anxia

Mar 10, 2024
Be aware that you cannot export with MS Authenticator, so if you wanted to switch to a new app down the line you need to login in every accounts and deactivate/reactivate 2FA with the new app. I recently moved to Google authenticator and this took me like 2 hours. Also the sync/backup is unreliable.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Never ever rely on a single app, the database can be damaged, the account blocked, it is like relying in a single recovery method.
I use Microsoft Authenticator on android and 2fast on desktop, you can generate QR code from it to as many apps as you want.

ekay312

Mar 12, 2024
Never ever rely on a single app, the database can be damaged, the account blocked, it is like relying in a single recovery method.
I use Microsoft Authenticator on android and 2fast on desktop, you can generate QR code from it to as many apps as you want.
Do you think there is an ideal number of authenticators one can have in order to be "as safe as can be"?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Do you think there is an ideal number of authenticators one can have in order to be "as safe as can be"?
Just like any backup, it starts with 3, but that depends whether it is stored only locally or online. Some accounts also offer 2FA backup code which can be used to restore.
But lets not forget about the circle of hell, like having 3 cloud authenticators and requiring an authenticator to login to each, then losing access to a phone and thus to all 3.

Reactions: simmerskool

technozz2012

Oct 14, 2020
I switch to 2FAS after authy discontinued desktop apps, it can sync multiple device with google drive and have browser extension for notify to smartphone when sign in without enter code manually

Google Authenticator is good altenative too, but its lack seacrh box for search account token in app, it has good sync too

Last edited:
Reactions: jetman

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017

Interesting point.

Is it possible to use multiple authenticator apps for the same account?
For instance, on my Google account could I use both Authy and MS Authenticator to generate the token for me? How would you set this up?

Reactions: Jonny Quest

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
It's better than the Google alterative if you use the Edge browser, because it has password manager functionality that syncs with your Microsoft account. You have everything in one app.

Reactions: blackice

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
For instance, on my Google account could I use both Authy and MS Authenticator to generate the token for me? How would you set this up?
As will you generate QR code, you will scan it with both apps, the code should be the same. There are some tools on github, which allow Authy to export QR codes or even json which can imported to some apps like 2fas or Bitwarden, when using the old version 2.2.3, the question is whether you can trust them? I would probably rather do it manually. :unsure:

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
As will you generate QR code, you will scan it with both apps, the code should be the same. There are some tools on github, which allow Authy to export QR codes or even json which can imported to some apps like 2fas or Bitwarden, when using the old version 2.2.3, the question is whether you can trust them? I would probably rather do it manually. :unsure:
Sounds like a good idea to me.
You make a great point.

Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.