Deprecated Authy Desktop Apps are being discontinued in March 2024 [U]

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Updated thread title to reflect the updated EOL dates.

Which app are you using for syncing the 2 databases?
I use Syncthing to sync. It's needed on both devices. I followed this guide to set it up.

What's not in the video is that when you run Syncthing, it always keeps the CMD window open, so I had to use the app syncthingtray on the PC which can auto-start it at startup with no visible window and some other easy to manage benefits.
One more thing, in the video he says UPnP is needed to sync between devices. But that's not necessary. It syncs fine without UPnP.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I think I'm going to use a combination of bitwarden (for password storage) and protonpass (for authentication codes on my desktop).
The good thing about protonpass is that it allows 2FA codes to be copied into other Apps- so could easily copy into Authy (which still intend to use on my mobile devices). I think 1password may offer a similar facility.
Protonpass not free, although it serves a purpose for the time being. The trouble with proton is that they change their pricing all the time. At the moment ProtonPass is competitively priced, but I reckon they will ramp that up in the future.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I think I'm going to use a combination of bitwarden (for password storage) and protonpass (for authentication codes on my desktop).
The good thing about protonpass is that it allows 2FA codes to be copied into other Apps- so could easily copy into Authy (which still intend to use on my mobile devices). I think 1password may offer a similar facility.
Protonpass not free, although it serves a purpose for the time being. The trouble with proton is that they change their pricing all the time. At the moment ProtonPass is competitively priced, but I reckon they will ramp that up in the future.

Having passwords spread across 2 applications is double-handling.
ProtonPass offers everything needed.
ProtonPass even now offers passkeys. ProtonPass

Reactions: Keyang556

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Having passwords spread across 2 applications is double-handling.
ProtonPass offers everything needed.
ProtonPass even now offers passkeys. ProtonPass
My intention is to keep the passwords on one app and the 2fa codes on another.

In am not comfortable with keeping both passwords and 2fa codes together on the same database.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
My intention is to keep the passwords on one app and the 2fa codes on another.

In am not comfortable with keeping both passwords and 2fa codes together on the same database.
Completely understandable, but the reason you have Okta and Authy that are you're 2-Step Authentication codes.

Reactions: Keyang556

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.