Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Twilio has announced that it is discontinuing its Authy desktop apps in August 2024. The change will affect the Authy apps for Windows, Linux and macOS.
The download page for the Authy desktop apps does not have a warning about the end of life. The article that mentions the news on Authy's support website does not carry a date, so it is unclear when the news was announced. I could not find a press release or any social media post about it either. As a matter of fact, the support website itself is scheduled for an end of life. It will be discontinued on January 15, 2024. Users will be able to access Authy Support content on the parent company's portal (help.twilio.com).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
need a alternative
You can continue to use Authy Desktop until August 2024. Edit: March 19th, 2024

Twilio recommends switching to their mobile app for Android and iOS.

Or, if you read the Support Article.

Authy Desktop Alternatives​

If you are unable to use the Authy mobile apps, we recommend you look in to alternative desktop products such as the following suggestions:
Please be aware that Twilio Authy does not have any affiliation with the companies creating these apps, so be mindful of potential risks and exercise your own judgment when selecting the app.

Note: The Authy app lacks an export feature, therefore you have to re-enable the 2FA method and re-add the token in your new application with the steps here. If you prefer to delete your authentication tokens, please make sure to disable 2FA in your account(s) first, then follow these instructions.

Source: https://support.authy.com/hc/en-us/articles/17592416719003-Authy-for-Desktop-End-of-Life-EOL-

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
ente Authenticator is a free, open source alternative that has an Android, iOS, and Web app with sync, import, and export
For those interested, an ente account is required for E2EE cloud backups.

Web app: Ente Auth
Privacy: Privacy Policy

F-Droid version - 1 tracker, 16 permissions: εxodus
Play Store version - 1 tracker, 16 permissions: εxodus
ente-io said:
Hey, there are no plans to monetize Auth.

If at all in the future we decide to take such a step, we'll either grandfather existing users in or gatekeep only newer features.

Like you already pointed out, Photos is our source of revenue and it's likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future.
Source: reddit.com/r/enteio

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
For those interested, an ente account is required for E2EE cloud backups.

Web app: Ente Auth
Privacy: Privacy Policy

F-Droid version - 1 tracker, 16 permissions: εxodus
Play Store version - 1 tracker, 16 permissions: εxodus

Source: reddit.com/r/enteio
Thank you, Ink. Nice information and link(s), I did not know about exodus. 16 permission, along with the ! dangerous or special-level permissions. I think I'll pass on that one.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thank you, Ink. Nice information and link(s), I did not know about exodus. 16 permission, along with the ! dangerous or special-level permissions. I think I'll pass on that one.
I would consider ente Auth reasonable respective of what they offer.

Exodus-Privacy.eu is a useful privacy tool. It should not discourage users from installing apps, but rather make informed decisions. App developers may allow crash reporting and analytics to be disabled. Not all permissions are dangerous and in fact are required to make an app more functional.
  • Camera - Use(s) capture QR codes when adding the secret key from an online account.
Other Auth apps:
No one seems to mind the default Google Messages app with its 70 permissions.

Edit: Since Android 6, users need to Allow permission requests before an App gets access to the Camera, Files etc.

Last edited:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I've gotten a couple of notices when opening the desktop app yesterday and today, as well as this email notice today of the desktop EOL (no, not ELO...lol).

"Starting March 19, 2024, Twilio Desktop Authy apps will reach their end of life (EOL). Beyond this date, you can access most of the desktop features and functionality in the mobile Authy apps. You may have previously seen an August 19, 2024, end-of-life (EOL) date for Twilio Desktop Authy apps. This date has been moved up to March 19, 2024".

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
A few days after Authy's initial announcement, I switched to KeePassXC on PC and KeePassDX on Android and set up 2FA on that. I could've just used it for 2FA only but ended up also importing my passwords from Bitwarden. So now I have passwords and 2FA on the same basket something which I didn't like but now did it for comfort and simplicity. Also, now passwords are under my control so, not too bad. I even set up sync between my PC and Android using an app.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Updated thread title to reflect the updated EOL dates.
A few days after Authy's initial announcement, I switched to KeePassXC on PC and KeePassDX on Android and set up 2FA on that. I could've just used it for 2FA only but ended up also importing my passwords from Bitwarden. So now I have passwords and 2FA on the same basket something which I didn't like but now did it for comfort and simplicity. Also, now passwords are under my control so, not too bad. I even set up sync between my PC and Android using an app.
Which app are you using for syncing the 2 databases?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.