Autorun settings and security issues

Sara Snitcovsky

Thread author
Dec 26, 2013
I recently had a Trojan in my computer and a lot of other spyware.
I followed some of you recommendations for adware and seemed to have helped.

So far I used:
Adw cleaner
JRT
Malware bites: Quick Scan
Hitman Pro
(Thank you very much, I was able to remove a lot of adware from my computer.)

After that
I just installed Kappersky Security, did a quick scan and gave me the recommendations listed below.
Please let me know if it is something I should address and how.

"Autorun from hard drives is allowed"

"Autorun from network drives is enabled"

"CD/DVD autorun is enabled"

"Removable media autorun is enabled"

"Windows Explorer - show extensions of known file types"

"Microsoft Internet Explorer: clear history of typed URLs"

"Microsoft Internet Explorer - disable caching data received via protected channel"

"Microsoft Internet Explorer: disable sending error reports"

"Microsoft Internet Explorer: enable cache autocleanup on browser closing"

"Windows Explorer: display of known file types extensions is disabled"

"Microsoft Internet Explorer: start page reset"

Alos, when I run a full can with Malware bytes it gives me a more extensive list. I do not dare to erase some of those in the registry since I am not sure of what I am doing. I just erased the ones that came out after a quick scan.

Thank you.

D

Deleted member 178

You bought Kaspersky or it is a trial?

If you bought it , keep it if not remove it. Disabling autoruns will increase your security but your removsble medias wont start by themselves

zeff

Level 1
Dec 18, 2011
As many suggested mostly in case of removal media autorun should be disable for auto executable malware from removal media. So i would suggest it should be disable , no problem you can open it with explorer.

"Windows Explorer - show extensions of known file types"
"Windows Explorer: display of known file types extensions is disabled"

You mention it two times one is disable and other time enable. ?
some time malware hide it self "abc.pdf.exe" at first it look like a normal pdf file but when you closely look at it is actually "exe" so "show extension of known file" enable help to identify these type of malware. By default it is hidden.

CD/DVD autorun - depends on your environment of PC use. Enabling it play your disk content as soon as you put it in drive so some time we don't like as i personally don't like. so you can keep it enable/disable as per your choice.

Autorun from hard disk/ From network drive- should be also disable. on this you might get better answer from other guys.

Other things are okay.
Have you run advance system care, CCleaner, for removing junk from PC? If not run both tools
also run Full System again with MB.
Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.