AV-Comparatives AV-Comparatives Real World Protection Test - Feburary - May 2019

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Do you have any idea about the reason behind that decision ?? :unsure::unsure:
i know that gave up AV Test but trusted in AV comparative
Explained here:

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Reactions: stefanos
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

They all scored 98% and up. That's a pass in my book for all of them.

If they would have scaled the percentage from 1-100%, the 'orange' compromises would be barely visable.

Chart manipulation, you are correct, all of them passed.

L

Local Host

I agree with you. I forgot to mention that there is also such a moment as the replacement of legal programs with malicious ones by breaking into the servers of the company distributing this legal software. Remember the story with CCleaner? This was not a targeted attack on any specific users, and the calculation was made on a massive attack, since CCleaner is a very popular program and installed on the computers of many users. And here only proactive protection of the antivirus could save, which would notice suspicious actions on the part of CCleaner. I remember when this story was not even made public, and even when the developers themselves were not aware that they had been hacked (they didn’t notice it right away), one tester on YouTube posted a review about ESET Smart Security, and I I noticed that ESET signaled some kind of problem with CCleaner, it was there that the SysInspector component wrote something about the problem. The tester did not pay attention to it at all, they say a false positive. And after 4 days, information about what happened has already been made public.
Actually CCleaner Malicious Update was entirely targetted at a specific company, it wouldn't do anything troublesome on a Home User PC (in fact it wouldn't work if detected it wasn't running on their target machines).

Not to mention it was limited to x86, and was due to an oversight from the company. No one is going to waste that type of malware and opportunity in Home Users.
This test was already discussed here in the forum about 1 year ago or even more... Kaspersky fails most of the tests because the size of the files are bigger than 1MB, once You download manually and scan it detects all:

Update: in the past there was an option to tweak that size, I can't remember now if still in KES :unsure: :unsure:
At that point it stops being a Firewall test, as the files are detected by other modules, so as a Firewall it failed the test entirely.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Exactly. It seems they are very stubborn. Stubborn at the wrong things. They always had one of the best signatures in the industry along with heuristics and with cloud protection they are doing a great job detecting zero day malwares too. But they must change the UI of their product. They changed a bit couple of years ago but still bad compared to other popular products. Also it comes with Avira launcher or something, it's only job is to open the UI probably. If you uninstall Avira, the launcher would still remain on your PC. It needs a separate uninstall as far as I remember. So, it's a mess. They must stop fangirling Star Wars and do a UI overhaul.
I agree that there are a few annoyances with Avira, but Avira Pro has been my go-to for several years now. I really don't care about their UI because I rarely need to look at it. It just runs in the background and quietly does its thing!

Avira is consistently in the top tier of AV protection, and with no noticeable performance impact on my system!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.