shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Avast! is very light, there are no surprises here.

Bronze prize because it was ranked at the 3rd place (behind ESET and K7) and it won the "advanced +" badge.

Thanks for clarification. Now I get what it means.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Avast! is very light, there are no surprises here.

Bronze prize because it was ranked at the 3rd place (behind ESET and K7) and it won the "advanced +" badge.

+1

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
these tests look suspicious throughout the whole year. symantec, f-secure and trend micro did poorly throughout the whole year.

avast did better than kaspersky, eset, symantec and emsisoft. :eek:

I would hardly say they did poorly, the monthly or three monthly charts usually start at 75% thereby magnifying any 'issues', an AV that achieves 99% or more & or has a few FP's hasn't done badly at all. This is what causes AV jumping, a decent AV will be removed because it didn't win AV of the year or a top award, most of the tested AV's by comparatives are good & it's down to personal choice. Reminds me of a magazine What-Hi-Fi I used to read which had people buying a new amp/system etc every year as their gear dropped a star (not 5 stars) when it was still really good :)

Reactions: Nevi and roger_m

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
@Brie VIPRE uses BD sigs for awhile now so it's up there. Avira has pretty much always had top notch detection. I won't say they make for the best suites or whatever, but they have good sigs, yes.

Reactions: roger_m

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
i just checked in the hub and avira was not clean or infected 3 out of 4 times. :eek:
Lol the sample size is pretty small there, I would take those results with a grain of salt. I think even some other company/companies use Avira sigs. Bottom line, pair either AV with VoodooShield or Sandboxie and you're set.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Guys, the testing conditions in the MT malware hub are totally different. It is a synthetic test, it is downloading zipped packages of very fresh malware samples and then running them on the desktop of a properly secured virtual machine.
The AV-Comparative tests are much more like real life.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
I do like MT malware hub tests, because of fresh, almost "0-day malware samples" tested. Especially im interested how different AV vendors so called "Behavior Blockers" caught some unknown malwares(malwares without signatures). I think some ransomwares needs a "direct disk access" or "raw disk access" to rapidly encrypt files.
Anyway, /me nods all the hard working HUB malware suppliers and testers! :)

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
I do like MT malware hub tests, because of fresh, almost "0-day malware samples" tested. Especially im interested how different AV vendors so called "Behavior Blockers" caught some unknown malwares(malwares without signatures). I think some ransomwares needs a "direct disk access" or "raw disk access" to rapidly encrypt files.
Anyway, /me nods all the hard working HUB malware suppliers and testers! :)
No one is disrespecting the Malware Hub here, but this particular thread is about the newest AV-C report.

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
I never had good eyes for avast, always try and does not seem to work right on my system it downloads virus after a time of use.
My problem with Avast is, at least on my system, it's too heavy. And nowadays it's bloated. Heavy and bloated, no dice. I might try it again someday though as I understand most people find it to be pretty light, I'd just need to customize the install or something to avoid the bloat. Also the Android apps, there's just too many of them, like Norton or Kaspersky. Better a bunch than all that bloat in one big fat app though..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.