AV-Comparatives av-comparatives Summary Report 2019

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

aliali

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2016
Capture.PNG

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Looking at the full report it's getting like children's sports days recently in the UK, everyone's a winner at some point, lest someone get upset - Unimpressed with tests such as these, esp these days - I feel info on here, my own experiences & the fact most AV's are half decent, mean I use the AV I like the feel of: On this PC Emsisoft, though that's just for me.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
To me it's quite apparent there is no perfect AV, there are so many factors involved, your PC hardware config, software installed, how you use your PC, your wants & needs all add up to finding AV's you like & trying them out - Then: Don't be swayed by tests that downgrade your AV from the last test (month) - Most is marketing, if you do that you'll be changing AV's more often than your..erm socks?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Bitdefender proves to the world that it is number one in digital protection
Bitdefender and Kaspersky Kings
Avast and AVG good
ESET and McAfee low performance.
While there's Bitdefender, there's you. Even your DP is an old Bitdefender logo. Do you work for them? 😄
Don't be offended just poking fun at you but I'm sure others have noticed this as well. Everyone has their favorite product I guess.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Malware protection is hard for people to judge on their own, because most of us don't encounter enough malware to produce statistically significant results.
The thing I don't get is the performance ratings. That's something the average user is capable of judging on his own, but the results are puzzling. Bitdefender is famous for slowing down the system, yet it gets great scores in the performance category. Can someone explain this? Has Bitdefender improved greatly in performance?

Hindenburg

Level 1
Feb 5, 2020
To me it's quite apparent there is no perfect AV...

Maybe Webroot.

I think that the other AVs ganged up on Webroot to keep them out of AV-Corncavities. Maybe Webroot is so much better, they figure out ways to keep them out. It's possibly a conspiracy.

As Night Stalker says, here we go again.

Actually, I'm not sure what he's getting at there. Here we go again where?

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Maybe Webroot.

I think that the other AVs ganged up on Webroot to keep them out of AV-Corncavities. Maybe Webroot is so much better, they figure out ways to keep them out. It's possibly a conspiracy.

As Night Stalker says, here we go again.

Actually, I'm not sure what he's getting at there. Here we go again where?
I see, I see...
1- you purposely create strong responses to your posts.
2- you are a very beginner and praise every fallen AVs. Lol.

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
Malware protection is hard for people to judge on their own, because most of us don't encounter enough malware to produce statistically significant results.
The thing I don't get is the performance ratings. That's something the average user is capable of judging on his own, but the results are puzzling. Bitdefender is famous for slowing down the system, yet it gets great scores in the performance category. Can someone explain this? Has Bitdefender improved greatly in performance?

Probably because BitDefender engine primarily stresses the disk access, memory and CPU. In my observation (I have used/tested many implementations of BitDefender including the SDK versions), the engine is not heavy on I/O calls or adding latency to operations of the system.

This means that if you have a good CPU (with as many threads as possible), a fast SSD and about 8 GB of RAM, BitDefender (and it's cousins/brothers of SDK) would probably end up being very, very light.

Let's have a look at AV-Comparatives' test computer:

Intel Core i7-8550U CPU, 8GB of RAM and SSD hard disks.

That's very good and a optimal case for functioning of BitDefender engine (8 thread, 4 core CPU and high speed disk access). Certain SDK brothers of BitDefender amp up the thread count and disk access to the max since most of the SDK products do not utilise the photon performance enhancing technology of BitDefender (except ArcaVir). This allows them to sometimes get better performance scores than BD itself.

Though, AV-Test gives a better picture, the fact is that even the "Standard PC" of AV-Test uses 8GB of RAM and a SSD, the only drawback is a dual core CPU (4 threads).

Things are going to be very different on a PC with 4GB or 6GB RAM, an older gen CPU (yes, people are still using 3rd, 4th gen Intel Core CPUs and AMD FX/Athlon/APU) and a standard HDD, but these aren't being tested anymore.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Things are going to be very different on a PC with 4GB or 6GB RAM, an older gen CPU (yes, people are still using 3rd, 4th gen Intel Core CPUs and AMD FX/Athlon/APU) and a standard HDD, but these aren't being tested anymore.
I've only got 2nd gen i5s in the computers I use daily. They're fast enough for what I use them for, but some antivirus software will cause very noticeable slowdowns.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.