AV-Comparatives av-comparatives Summary Report 2019

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
Uh, that's sorta the nature of message boards.

Maybe you are in the wrong place.

Uh, I've been on message boards for decades. And over the years message board activity has proven that debating stuff to death will not lead to greater security. All it does is create dramas.

Prove what you said. I want to see evidence that beating the dead horse increases security.

Hindenburg

Level 1
Feb 5, 2020
Uh, I've been on message boards for decades. And over the years message board activity has proven that debating stuff to death will not lead to greater security. All it does is create dramas.

Prove what you said. I want to see evidence that beating the dead horse increases security.

You are very good at the beating a dead horse thing.

Here is absolute proof that ..Analyzing, picking-apart, re-analyzing, re-discussing.. can increase security.

MalwareTips.

If you don't understand that, that is not my problem.

The End.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Here is absolute proof that ..Analyzing, picking-apart, re-analyzing, re-discussing.. can increase security.
LOL increase security for who? 100 dudes...? The same 100 dudes who in fact don't even need to debate since they probably already know the right strategy to be safe.
Ransomware are discussed over and over in forums and message boards, security devs and malware researchers do conferences and debate on twitter repeating the same things over and over... 8 years later, ransomware are still the main threat, even big corporations got hit like noobs...so much for "increased security"...
Serious security improvements will never come from security forums addicts not even from security vendors...
Real security is in the hand of OS developers and until MS decide to redo Windows from scratch, our little funny discussions here have no more effect than a fly's fart during a tornado...

So if for you increasing security is about debating which AV has 0.1% more detection or which anti-exes can better lock the system while you are online, then my friend, i wont take advice from you.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Not saying, i still wait the day when the chief lead developer of Windows or any major security software will come to a forum like MT or Wilders and say:
"guys, your multiple discussions hit our ears and we took great attention about your very valid concerns , so we decided to follow your suggestions to improve our product the way you expressed it"...Yeaaaaaaahhh , not coming soon, and Hell will be frozen until it happen...
In fact,they do the opposite , all fleeing security forums for a good reason LOL

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
You are very good at the beating a dead horse thing.

MalwareTips.

If you don't understand that, that is not my problem.

The End.

Wilders and other security forums banned "What is best AV ?" and other similar discussions. Especially certain debates about AV test lab results. Do you even know why ?

Prove what you said. Prove that these discussions improve security.

Last edited:

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
I'd rather ban users who take it too seriously. They are almost worse than discussions A vs. B, or the like.

i'm certainly not for banning anyone and i'm certainly not for censorship either

all i'm saying is that the over-emotional, over-analytic discussions improve security at a level = 0

most of the av lab result debates revolve around "the tests are bogus" or arguing over statistically meaningless 1% or 5% differences

most of the "what is best av" debates merely result in a tidal wave of highly-biased posts that the OP can never hope to manage - not to mention the replies never answer the OP's initial questions

most everything else is worthless, pointless emotion (emotional filler) that adds nothing to the value of the content

so something that starts out as nothing, ends up as nothing

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Probably because BitDefender engine primarily stresses the disk access, memory and CPU. In my observation (I have used/tested many implementations of BitDefender including the SDK versions), the engine is not heavy on I/O calls or adding latency to operations of the system.

This means that if you have a good CPU (with as many threads as possible), a fast SSD and about 8 GB of RAM, BitDefender (and it's cousins/brothers of SDK) would probably end up being very, very light.

Let's have a look at AV-Comparatives' test computer:

That's very good and a optimal case for functioning of BitDefender engine (8 thread, 4 core CPU and high speed disk access). Certain SDK brothers of BitDefender amp up the thread count and disk access to the max since most of the SDK products do not utilise the photon performance enhancing technology of BitDefender (except ArcaVir). This allows them to sometimes get better performance scores than BD itself.

Though, AV-Test gives a better picture, the fact is that even the "Standard PC" of AV-Test uses 8GB of RAM and a SSD, the only drawback is a dual core CPU (4 threads).

Things are going to be very different on a PC with 4GB or 6GB RAM, an older gen CPU (yes, people are still using 3rd, 4th gen Intel Core CPUs and AMD FX/Athlon/APU) and a standard HDD, but these aren't being tested anymore.
Beautiful explanation, thank you!

Reactions: Cortex and Outpost

Bushman

Level 2
Verified
Sep 9, 2017
Not saying, i still wait the day when the chief lead developer of Windows or any major security software will come to a forum like MT or Wilders and say:
"guys, your multiple discussions hit our ears and we took great attention about your very valid concerns , so we decided to follow your suggestions to improve our product the way you expressed it"...Yeaaaaaaahhh , not coming soon, and Hell will be frozen until it happen...
In fact,they do the opposite , all fleeing security forums for a good reason LOL
Fabian Wosar Chief lead of Emsisoft is an exception I think? I remember interesting exchange with us and members of Malware Tips

Feb 8, 2020
Fabian Wosar Chief lead of Emsisoft is an exception I think? I remember interesting exchange with us and members of Malware Tips

There have been many interesting exchanges between Fabian Wosar and members at a number of "security" forums across the years. You are probably referring to his most recent AMA thread here. I'm sure many found that quite informative if they wish to develop as malware analysts. However, if you bother to search deeper both here and Wilders, you will see that Fabian has a general disdain for quite a number of things that happen at forums like MT and Wilders (and rightly so).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.