AV-Comparatives test: Avast and AVG will protect 100% and no false positives

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

This is for everybody and anybody that has doubts about security softs and isn't directed at you @Solarquest.
If anybody wants as close to certainty as is technologically possible, then lock down your system with a default-deny solution plus make some wise OS tweaks and layer with some other good softs.

I'd add to that - get good gateway security beyond a simple nat router. It's sort of shocking the amount of junk stopped at the gateway with a decent UTM.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
If we go by Shadowserver information we should all be using K7 antivírus :) Anyway it's unreasonable to expect 100% protection from any product. Even default deny protection will eventually be bypassed if it gets popular enough to attract the hackers community attention.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
If we go by Shadowserver information we should all be using K7 antivírus :) Anyway it's unreasonable to expect 100% protection from any product. Even default deny protection will eventually be bypassed if it gets popular enough to attract the hackers community attention.
it actually is not half bad, gonna be testing it on the hub a bit.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
One month, typically it is BitDefender or Kaspersky at the top. Of course those 100% detection rates are misleading, just the sample they use...who knows how old the malware is. With the latest stuff probably closer to 50%.

Then there is the nation state firmware level malware, factory installed in some cases :)

Reactions: MWNu72 and ZeroDay

Maliek

Level 1
Mar 23, 2017
This is really bad for end-user and enterprise awareness imo... It's naive to believe that 100% exist. The focus shouldn't only be on detection but also prevention, response and mitigation.

Reactions: MWNu72

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
This is really bad for end-user and enterprise awareness imo... It's naive to believe that 100% exist. The focus shouldn't only be on detection but also prevention, response and mitigation.
this is purely signature based detection rates, most of the high-end enterprise/home security softwares have modules to catch stuff after execution.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Then there is the nation state firmware level malware, factory installed in some cases :)

This is the stuff people should be worried about. I just sent off an SSD to one of the more known forensic AV labs. Every time Windows was installed on the SSD malware was dropped shortly after, even without an internet connection and regardless of what system it was done on. Fun stuff, right? I've run into so much ridiculous malware, exploits and state sponsored stuff in the last couple of years it's incredibly discouraging as it tends to bypass security quite handily. Default-Deny is about the only hope and even then I don't believe it's going to approach 100% protection.

They've entangled themselves so deeply into everything that I am almost feeling we really can't do anything about it anymore. Not a good feeling.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.