AV-Lab's test of FREE malware scanners

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date

Are you using one of the top scorer on-demand scanners?

• Yes

Votes: 57 76.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
1.75 worked great, fast, simple, effective in so many areas. They tried to become everything, as you said, and as a result are now good at nothing. I think they need to go back to their roots and stop with the nonsense they have going on now. But I fear they've lost their way too far to turn back.

We all love 1.75, all they needed to do was slap a better interface on 1.75 and we'd all flock to it. Then work on the signatures, heuristics and other crap and not bloat it up and they'd have a great product again.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Indeed, version 1.75 was the best. Version 2 wasn't ok and now version 3......Let's just say I'd like for them to go back to their roots. Get their detection rates back up there and BAM they could be right back up there with the 'big boys' or the top 'best' in their competition.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Is Zemana Antimalware still available as a free on demand scanner? The reason I ask is because not long ago quite a few people here were raving about how good it was. Is that still the case and how does it compare against EEK?

M

Motion

Thread author
Is Zemana Antimalware still available as a free on demand scanner? The reason I ask is because not long ago quite a few people here were raving about how good it was. Is that still the case and how does it compare against EEK?
Yes it´s free as on demand scanner and I found it like the best in its category. I love EEK, but it is very slow in my system, so I go with Zemana in first place. Both, IMO, are equal in quality and the only difference I find is the speed of scanning

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Yes it´s free as on demand scanner and I found it like the best in its category. I love EEK, but it is very slow in my system, so I go with Zemana in first place. Both, IMO, are equal in quality and the only difference I find is the speed of scanning

Exactly the same here. EEK very slow scan and also really slowed things down on my computer and it's also a pretty big download.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I use combination of WD Offline, Kaspersky Rescue disk, Dr. web cure it, ZAM premium and MBAM Free.
Dr. Web had better chance of booting on EFI systems with latest hardware like NVMe drives and its detection.
KRD and ESET always failed at EFI usb boot.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
As usual, a useless review because they left out NPE, Zemana and Hitman...... which would score at the top.... I wonder why. ;)
No...the test isn't useless and the key-word is "if"...the producer must be interested to join this test and than perhaps should agree to some terms. If no...no test...no result.

Thread author
As usual, a useless review because they left out NPE, Zemana and Hitman...... which would score at the top.... I wonder why. ;)

AVLab charges a fee for the testing. Not all security soft publishers know about the testing and not all of the ones that do know about the testing are willing to pay the fee. Finally, not all security soft publishers are interested in participating in the testing and refuse the invitation to participate for a wide range of reasons.

Not useless, just technically not comprehensive. Not AVLab's fault.

AVLab is not in the business of testing for free so users can know what security softs are best. Neither are any of the other AV test labs. Besides "What is best AV" based solely upon a single test result in time is not a reliable measure from user to user and system to system. "What is best AV" is a combination of both objective measures and subjective considerations.

Last edited by a moderator:

koko

Level 5
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 28, 2013
Bummer to see MBAM down the list.. Used it a lot a few years back. Was top notch. They made it into a cash machine for them...

Reactions: AtlBo
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Good job Emsisoft!
Or Bitdefender.
Please, Emsisoft AM isn't only Bit Defender. :)
Emsisoft uses 2 engines, A (our own) which is maintained by our Malware Analysis Team, where we add all malware (especially PUP & ransomware) we found by ourselves; and B (Bitdefender).
When BD releases a signature, if we have it already (which happen quite often), we just clean it from our own engine to avoid duplicates and increase the efficiency of EAM.

Note we also implement in our own engine some custom malware removal code for specific infections, so why EEK score very well and is praised and used by many IT personnel.

An in-depth look at the Emsisoft scanner technology

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Please, Emsisoft AM isn't only Bit Defender. :)
Emsisoft uses 2 engines, A (our own) which is maintained by our Malware Analysis Team, where we add all malware (especially PUP & ansomware) we found by ourselves; and B (Bitdefender).
When BD releases a signature, if we have it already (which happen quite often), we just clean it from our own engine to avoid duplicates and increase the efficiency of EAM.

Note we also implement in our own engine some custom malware removal code for specific infections, so why EEK score very well and is praised and used by many IT personnel.

An in-depth look at the Emsisoft scanner technology

Indeed very nice! Smart to remove from one so that you do not have duplicates - makes things run a lot faster too! Keep up your great work! I'm truly impressed.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
bit OT but who remembers this grandpa? lol

search

Attachments

• adaware2007.jpg
    adaware2007.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 377
Reactions: roger_m

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I remember, it was the best at that time, Adaware + Spybot S&D = adware/spyware free combo :p

You know, sometime I wish someone or some companie would come along and buy the rights and re-tool these old freebies for todays online world

hint hint/ wink wink

maybe put in a word at Emsisoft as community manager lol jkjk

Reactions: Deleted member 178

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.