AV performance

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well actually using RAM is a vital important to execute the AV and perform operation within ease on enough amount to obtain, however the primary basis of the performance is the CPU usage which makes the program determine if busy or not.

Multi engines can flunctuate sometimes unless optimize by developers or selective mode when operations use for scanning and updating.

Most independent test organization focus lots of methodology where AV affects everything by our basic function of task like copying, unzipping large amount of files or even open other certain programs. Since its obtain already the RAM and CPU usage for such purpose.

Cloud AV may generally the light as possible where engines are not deploy in the system but again if you have enough computer specifications then everything suppose not be the problem for AV operation.

No need to disable any protection caused it makes everything worst than you may think.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Add into the mix the I/O and disk, while the solution is performing its scans, whether its on demand or scheduled in the background.

S

sinu

Thread author
Which AV utilizes less cpu, I/O and disk usage during scan?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
The only issue is when RAM is not adequate to support programs installed on system. Having too little is major problem. For example, 2 GB or less... with a bunch of programs installed on system. I have 6 GB installed on my system... rarely do I use more than 60 % of RAM (.6 x 6 = 3.6 GB) with 64 bit versions of most programs installed. So 4 GB RAM... at least from what I see on my system... is bare minimum.

This has been the case using Comodo, Emsisoft, Kaspersky, ESET, Avira, MBAM, HMP, Shadow Defender, AG, NVT ERP, VDS, etc, etc, etc.

It's best to have 4 GB - 6 GB RAM installed ... and then do not pay attention to it unless there is specific problems. Watching system resources too closely is just OCD and will do nothing but drive user nuts... it isn't necessary to do so in my experience as there are more important things for user to do.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Much informative thanks for that but how come Norton in top I heard that it will slowdown PC

Probably not RAM issue, but more likely CPU or some other Norton-system incompatibility...

Difficult to say what exactly it could be... have to try NIS on your specific system.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Can I get same type of information for free av? Which will be much helpful

Comodo has improved quite a bit since version 8.0 in terms of startup\shutdown time and system impact. During normal work at the desktop I am not noticing Comodo is present. That has not always been the case. Also, be aware that when running a full system scan I will notice Comodo... as well as any other product from Emsisoft to Zemana...

Currently I am testing CIS with VooDooShield free on one system and NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro beta (free) on another.

They are working so well on my W8.1 64 bit systems that I have decided to go with these configurations for a while...

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Your knowledge, experience and habits will prevent an infection far more than any AV.

There are MT members who have been using only Windows Defender and Firewall with IE for years and years... and never got infected.

Comodo is the best integrated freeware internet security suite... and it is steadily improving... not as fast as anyone would really like, but none of us techies are ever really satisfied in that regard.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
ESET tends to have better performance in terms of I/O,disk, however it still depends on what system you are using.

People say Kaspersky hogs down on full scan. Can hardly notice on my system, yet on the mid end system, I can.

The best answer is to trial for 5 days each security software you have your eye on and go from there.

Pretty much what I am doing but I'm interested in other aspects.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.