Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
On 11th February 2014, the AV-TEST Institute will present the AV-TEST AWARD to the best security productsproviding protection against malware infections. This award honours the best home user and corporate products for Windows in the categories of PROTECTION and PERFORMANCE. This year, the AV-TEST AWARD will also be presented to an anti-virus solution providing the best protection for Android systems for the first time. The AV-TEST Institute uses its AV-TEST AWARD to reward the most effective anti-virus products tested in its different test categories.
header_award-2013_01.png

The AV-TEST AWARD FOR BEST PROTECTION 2013 will be presented to the best product of the year in terms of its protective effect on the Windows und Android operating systems. This category evaluates products according to the protection that they provide against current threats such as malware infections caused by zero-day attacks such as those found in malicious websites and e-mails.

Home Users (Windows):
Bitdefender Internet Security

Corporate Users (Windows):
F-Secure Client Security

Mobile Devices (Android):
Antiy AVL

The AV-TEST AWARD FOR BEST PERFORMANCE 2013 will be presented to thesecurity software that has the least influence upon a system once installed. The tests that are carried out involve typical activities such as loading websites, downloading software, installing and starting up programs and copying files.

Home Users (Windows):
Bitdefender Internet Security

Corporate Users (Windows):
Symantec Endpoint Protection

http://www.av-test.org/en/test-procedures/award/2013/

amz

Level 4
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Wtf?? Bitdefender for performance?

I think among the securit y softwares tested by avtest , best performance award should be given to wsa.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Kaspersky should have won the crown for home users!
Bitdefender should have won the category for the "buggiest security suite"!:p

Reactions: Littlebits

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
AV-test has to be one of the most useless sites available. BD has been given a 100% (perfect- without any flaws- top of the heap- gift from the gods) score by AVT on a monthly basis since I gave up playing with dolls.

It is difficult to dispute a 90% or a 95% accuracy finding (they can always say that one just "happened" to test the few malware available to which BD falls), but it is really, really easy to dispute a 100% score. ANY malware sample that can get through will dispute AVT's findings, and samples such as this can be found on a daily basis.

I

illumination

Most of the members know how these sites are by now, i think they just post them for entertainment ;) :D

Reactions: Venustus

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
AV-test has to be one of the most useless sites available. BD has been given a 100% (perfect- without any flaws- top of the heap- gift from the gods) score by AVT on a monthly basis since I gave up playing with dolls.

It is difficult to dispute a 90% or a 95% accuracy finding (they can always say that one just "happened" to test the few malware available to which BD falls), but it is really, really easy to dispute a 100% score. ANY malware sample that can get through will dispute AVT's findings, and samples such as this can be found on a daily basis.
They have a lot of cash.At $100 a percentage point and $1000 for anything over 80%,it can be quite costly.How on Earth Antiy AVL made it I have no idea.Called a rogue AV by some and going years without updating their software,website or both it is a mystery.Maybe they came across a bag full of money and figured they would give the AV game one last shot.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
This has to be one of the worst AV tests that I have read in awhile.
All paid products with high scores and free products at the bottom.
It is nothing but an advertisement for paid products.

Thanks. :D

Last edited:

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
This has to be one of the worst AV tests that I have read in awhile.
All paid products with high scores and free products at the bottom.
It is nothing but an advertisement for paid products.

Thanks. :D
Hmmm... and I am observing ESET and EMSISOFT to be best detectors of malwares in the 'Malware Exchange' section of this forum... that is real, right? Not a hype.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I've noticed recently that ESET has improved in raw detection, but keep in mind the ability to stop malware that it does not have a definition for is not all that wonderful. Emsisoft has always been strong.

(can't believe that when I went slumming elsewhere earlier today there was a thread where the AVT results were actually being discussed as if they had any validity. So sad).

Reactions: Exterminator

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I've noticed recently that ESET has improved in raw detection, but keep in mind the ability to stop malware that it does not have a definition for is not all that wonderful. Emsisoft has always been strong.

(can't believe that when I went slumming elsewhere earlier today there was a thread where the AVT results were actually being discussed as if they had any validity. So sad).
thanks. EMSISOFT is really great.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Emsisoft & ESET are both great products!! Trying products & testing them for yourself is really the only way to find one thats right for you.
We have a testing & reviews group here.More than likely a software you might be interested in has already been tested & reviewed.If not you can ask Malware Doctor or Umbra and I am sure they will do it.At least here at MT you know you are going to get an unbiased and accurate review of the product.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Emsisoft & ESET are both great products!! Trying products & testing them for yourself is really the only way to find one thats right for you.
We have a testing & reviews group here.More than likely a software you might be interested in has already been tested & reviewed.If not you can ask Malware Doctor or Umbra and I am sure they will do it.At least here at MT you know you are going to get an unbiased and accurate review of the product.
Yes, I believe that. I used EMSI from version 7 to 8. Now I am using ESET for four months already. I switched to ESET because it is lighter. But ESET's BB is maybe better than ESET's HIPS

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Yes, I believe that. I used EMSI from version 7 to 8. Now I am using ESET for four months already. I switched to ESET because it is lighter. But ESET's BB is maybe better than ESET's HIPS
I use EIS on all my Windows 7 installations & ESS 7 on all my Windows 8.1 installations as well as SBIE on all installations

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.