AV-TEST AV-Test Awards 2020

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
As regards home users the main well known AV's i don't think there is much to choose between them these days unlike years ago, must be getting difficult running a comparison site with so many good AV's about - Cost is a factor depending where you reside whether you like the UI, how it performs on your PC? I would be happy with five or so of AV's available & if I necessary WD would provide good protection - Enterprise is a different story - Of course just my opinion? :):)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Nowadays it's a matter of which product runs well on your computer, which one you find most intuitive and which one you can find at a decent price. The difference in protection is so minimal it may as well be considered nonexistent. Forget about 0day tests. When was the last time a home user was attacked by 1000+ 0 days at once? Forget about people complaining about bugs. They are all bugged, that's why you should always test first to see if any of the bugs affect you.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
One malware as "zero-day" infects in certain scenarios even at least one home user, the question is only who will be the victim...
Of course, we can debate how high is the chance that one member of community here might be ending to be a victim by zero-day malware, but that doesn't mean almost all people are fully protected by any AV ;)

Secure user habits by using any device (PC, mobile, etc.) for online activities are the key to avoid infections by malware!

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
As usual, lets just trust these test sites that never show their tests taking place, are always incredibly inconsistent, claim all antivirus have a 100% detection ratio, including PUP's which just uses the Avira engine.

Reactions: Cortex and Venustus

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
There is no 100% protection. There is always some live malware that will bypass certain products and not others. Safe practices go a long way into protecting the user but even them will not save you if you happen to visit a legitimate website with an infected ad that happens to be a malware able to bypass your current solution. Given the sheer size of the internet, that is bound to happen to someone every single day of the year.

And that's not even the only possible scenario. Many things nobody would detect have happened in the past, such as legitimate software with embedded malware and those will eventually happen again.

The only 100% safe computer is turned off, disconnected from everything. Probably deep in a cave somewhere :)

Last edited:

Alex92

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 19, 2021
In fact, the latest AV-Test tests were not very significant, but they highlight the products that have significant defects in terms of protection or performance.
In these tests we have to look at the detailed results and not the scores.

Last edited:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
claim all antivirus have a 100% detection ratio
I just have to post this:p
XC5_HA.gif

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Now that Microsoft scores 6/6 for all parameters, it's no longer a necessity to even have a 3rd party antivirus, unless you are looking for added features. For protecting yourself in day to day scenario, built-in antivirus is sufficient.

Never thought I'd live to see a day like this. Microsoft creating top notch products, including the "New Edge". Even on Android, apart from the usual Microsoft products like LinkedIn , Teams and Office, I also use SMS Organizer and Microsoft launcher.

Can't say enough, they are doing great across platforms.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
If you listed 'Best AV' you will see (Bit & Kasper) roll with each other :D
no one know why?!
There is no Evidence that which AV really do better, you see no sample,no film no screen shot, blah blah blah....

You may see this joke:
1010.png

ofh0_11111.png

I am not fan of AVG or Avast (you may see I hated both of them) , but really if you Install Gdata or Bugdefender they are (RRRREEEEAAAALLLLY Heavier than AVG & AVAST)

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.