AV-TEST AV-Test.org Windows 10: June 2020

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@RejZoR,
Do not be so irritated bro.:)

Most people here agree with you that the top-scoring for WD is not what can be seen on many computers. Your bad experience with WD was also noted by other MT members. I do not see anything wrong with defending Avast and saying good words about Kaspersky. (y)
The problem is that while reading some of your posts, one can have a strong impression that you want to convince the readers to believe you and not believe others. Such a position (probably unintentional) makes you an easy target for irritated people, provokes unnecessary discussion and personal posts.:(

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
@RejZoR,
Do not be so irritated bro.:)

Most people here agree with you that the top-scoring for WD is not what can be seen on many computers. Your bad experience with WD was also noted by other MT members. I do not see anything wrong with defending Avast and saying good words about Kaspersky. (y)
The problem is that while reading some of your posts, one can have a strong impression that you want to convince the readers to believe you and not believe others. Such a position (probably unintentional) makes you an easy target for irritated people, provokes unnecessary discussion and personal posts.:(
I was not familiar with the hard time given to @RejZoR in past discussions. I apologize if I provoked unnecessary discussion, or provoking of another member. This disconnect helps reinforce my skepticism of AV-Test's results.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
But...but...what does it mean!?

Edit: I looked it up, no need to explain. That made my day. I will now use that phrase.
Did you find out what "travel in mayonnaise" means using DDG?

I only got one result searching for it on DDG, it was on a rather obscure site called malwaretips.com. It must be a pretty authoriative site though, I'm impressed, I might use it more often to get other useful information!
Travel in mayonnaise - DDG.png
I might check it out for other useful things!

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I found a simple solution for her by installing a fresh Windows 10. I did not also install the factory firmware and factory drivers (except one driver).
TBH I have the exact same experience as you. Not to go too far off-topic, but I don't know what it is with pre built PCs and performance. Hardware spec wise it should be totally fine, but something is off because when you use it the performance isn't where it should be based on specs. I don't know if it's due to all the crap apps they put on, or outdated/poorly made drivers, or maybe it's what they are doing for power management?:unsure:

Every time I get a new computer (one I didn't build myself), I usually just blow out Windows and start from scratch. Like you I just let Windows do it's thing and voila no issues and the performance improves greatly, at least in my experience. The only drivers I install are directly from the hardware vendor (ie: Intel, Nvidia, etc...) as they are more up to date than what many of the PC manufactures provide. On my laptop the only software I installed from the PC manufacturer was one to get the backlight on my keyboard working, other than that, it's just what comes with Windows and Intel drivers.
A clean install just makes so much sense here as well. A HP desktop that I did this to for a friend last year, sorry can't remember the spec, was so bloated with their crapware, Hp Support assistant didn't seem very inclined to support the owner, it appeared more inclined to report back to HP. Clean installing Win 10 had a very similar result, seemingly performing at double the speeds reached with all the bloat on it.

I've never understood why manufacturers install so much crap, other than for money.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Did you find out what "travel in mayonnaise" means using DDG?

I only got one result searching for it on DDG, it was on a rather obscure site called malwaretips.com. It must be a pretty authoriative site though, I'm impressed, I might use it more often to get other useful information!View attachment 244681I might check it out for other useful things!
Ha ha, no google. I didn't care if my corporate overlords knew that I was unfamiliar with the phrase.

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
After thinking about @EndangeredPootis post I contacted one of these AV companies, and I've been informed that AV-Test rates the protection scores less if the AV product does not terminate the processes of certain malware/droppers immediately and instead just blocks their internet connections, rendering them useless.

Some of the lower scoring products in the protection category have fallen prey to this, as these products tend to block the processes activity rather than terminating them, and complete the termination and removal process on the next system reset/reboot.

The reason I have been given for such behaviour is because these vendors are slightly concerned about performance concerns or crashes/stability issues on lower spec computers arising from immediate termination of certain problematic processes and hence tend to follow a safer "remove on reboot" methodology.

I guess, some of the tested products (e.g. eScan) really are much better than given credit for by AV-Test, because the Malware Hub results come out reasonably well for these products.

In general, I remember a few years ago that an AV-Tester told me that categories/tiers do not really matter much because those are subject to perception and test conditions, what matters is if your product is good enough to score the minimum standard passing grade. Other than that, user experience will tell the story more than any test will....

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
After thinking about @EndangeredPootis post I contacted one of these AV companies, and I've been informed that AV-Test rates the protection scores less if the AV product does not terminate the processes of certain malware/droppers immediately and instead just blocks their internet connections, rendering them useless.

Some of the lower scoring products in the protection category have fallen prey to this, as these products tend to block the processes activity rather than terminating them, and complete the termination and removal process on the next system reset/reboot.

The reason I have been given for such behaviour is because these vendors are slightly concerned about performance concerns or crashes/stability issues on lower spec computers arising from immediate termination of certain problematic processes and hence tend to follow a safer "remove on reboot" methodology.

I guess, some of the tested products (e.g. eScan) really are much better than given credit for by AV-Test, because the Malware Hub results come out reasonably well for these products.

In general, I remember a few years ago that an AV-Tester told me that categories/tiers do not really matter much because those are subject to perception and test conditions, what matters is if your product is good enough to score the minimum standard passing grade. Other than that, user experience will tell the story more than any test will....
Another thing I've heard is, if an AV asks for user's permission to remove a threat then the AV gets points penalty in lab tests. One of the reason that AVs nowadays tries to be as much automatic as possible.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I think that antiviruses should have the option to let users choose if they want threats to be handled automatically, or get an alert which lets them choose what action they want to take.
They should, for those who have the knowledge to deal with it, but this is a test for home users that mostly know how to turn on their computers and browse to where they want to go, not a test for corporate market, where you just assume there is someone responsible who knows what they are doing and may decide for their users or for the users who have the technical knowledge to decide.

Actually, in a corporate environment the most sensible response is to stop the suspicious file and quarantine so that a security administrator may take a look later.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
i'm from Finland. Why do in earth i'm using Trend Micro rather than F-Secure?
Well, Trend Micro's AI/BB is way better then F-Secure Deepguard in all aspects.

Kind regards,
-sepik

Reactions: roger_m

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
i'm from Finland. Why do in earth i'm using Trend Micro rather than F-Secure?
Well, Trend Micro's AI/BB is way better then F-Secure Deepguard in all aspects.

Kind regards,
-sepik
Let me guess, its because they use the word "AI", just so you know, every single major antivirus uses some kind of AI/Machine Learning, its nothing special.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I'm in the UK, I like Sophos but it would be free version and not as comprehensive and not a fan of Bullguard. Plus Sophos tends to slow down network speed. Each to their own really. For the moment, built in still working for me though been tempted to test out Comodo again at some point down the road.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.