Battle AV that has the least Read/Write operations on Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I am trying out on several AVs and some really do heavy read/write processes on Hard Disk, while some are very shy to read or write.

What are your opinions?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It depends on which features that you have enabled on your AV. If you just use the basic file (memory) scanner the Read/Write Operations on Hard Disk will be much lower. What uses the most includes security products with firewall network control, with multiple AV engines, HIPS features, Web scanning, cloud features and mail scanning. Generally speaking more protection features enabled equals higher Read/Write Operations.

You can manually configure just about any security product to use less by either custom installation (only install basic features) or manually disable features that you don't need.

By default installation and configuration- Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender on Windows 8/8.1) with Windows Firewall would use the least Read/Write Operations but you can manually configure Avast, Avira and ESET to use less.

Thanks. :D

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
It depends on which features that you have enabled on your AV. If you just use the basic file (memory) scanner the Read/Write Operations on Hard Disk will be much lower. What uses the most includes security products with firewall network control, with multiple AV engines, HIPS features, Web scanning, cloud features and mail scanning. Generally speaking more protection features enabled equals higher Read/Write Operations.

You can manually configure just about any security product to use less by either custom installation (only install basic features) or manually disable features that you don't need.

By default installation and configuration- Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender on Windows 8/8.1) with Windows Firewall would use the least Read/Write Operations but you can manually configure Avast, Avira and ESET to use less.

Thanks. :D
The only problem have with Windows Defender on Windows 8.1 is that when I am opening folder full of executables, the folder lags quite. I think it is Defender's proactive scanning that causes it, and Umbra confirmed that I am right.

Maybe I have lots of read/write because I have newly installed PrivateFirewall in training mode

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
In my experience Panda Cloud 2.9 Beta causes little read/write when online, maybe because it is not accessing signatures locally

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
In my experience Panda Cloud 2.9 Beta causes little read/write when online, maybe because it is not accessing signatures locally
Cloud Av's will definitely perform better in this regard!;)
The exception here would be Trend Micro!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.