- Aug 30, 2012
I'm glad to announce that we've just released AVAST 2014 program update (build number 9.0.2011).
In terms of the core product changes, here's the list:
- We have finally fully rewritten the WebShield so that it now doesn't work as a "transparent proxy" anymore. I.e. no more routing of all HTTP traffic through the AvastSvc.exe process - which should hopefully result in no more conflicts with various firewalls (especially older firewalls that can't handle transparent proxies) and overall improvement in stability and performance. Besides that (and this is really exciting) it allows us to see and detect more threats (the original webshield had some limitations).
- The Firewall component (in IS and Premier) has also changed dramatically. We spent quite some time making it more compatible with other applications, such as Java and various VPN services.
- The installer/updater has been improved to allow more reliable installation in case of infected machines. The installer is now protected by the avast self-defense driver from the very beginning, making it harder for active malware to kill it (if you have problems starting the installer in the first place, it may be a good idea to try to rename the executable to a random name first)
- The changes in the File System Shield's driver should result in faster performance, especially in the copy files and install programs scenarios.
- We have also beefed up the Browser Cleanup tool to be able to rip off even the more stubborn toolbars and other "PUBEs" (Pontentially Unwanted Browser Extensions)
- We have also fixed a whole bunch of bugs reported in the last couple of months. Especially if you encountered a problem with R1, I suggest you try this new version, chances are that the problem is resolved there.
- For trialware users, we have also added an interactive tutorial that explains all the features of the product in a straightforward, concise manner.
In addition to the core, there's two more things included in this version:
- Connectivity to the new avast! GrimeFighter product. GrimeFighter is our take on PC Optimization / tuneup and is the result of the Jumpshot acquisition that we did earlier this year. This will be a standalone product (sold separately) but has some connections into Avast. It is really a cool product (and I encourage everyone to give it a try) - technically, it's Linux based, although you wouldn't be able to tell as it's perfectly skinned and does a good job at hiding all the complexities. For GrimeFighter, we will have a phased rollout for particular configurations. Over the next few weeks, users should look out for GrimeFighter pop-ups notifying them how we can improve their PC performance.
- SafePrice is a new, optional module of the Avast browser plugins. It's designed to combine security (hence the "safe" part) with best deals (hence the "price") into one, easy-to-use module. It's pretty silent (almost invisible) unless you search for a specific product -- in which case, it would pop up a price comparison and allow you to pick one of the deals in the trusted stores. The feature can be turned on or off through the browser plugin settings. For Safe Price, we are doing a gradual global rollout. We will increase the rollout over the coming weeks.
- AOS plugin doesn´t work with "Enhanced Protected Mode" enabled in IE 11
avast! cleaner: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe
It should be possible to install this version on top of your existing avast! installation (all settings should be preserved). Or you can use in-product updater.
thanks a lot, enjoy this release!!!