BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Hi all,

I'm glad to announce that we've just released AVAST 2014 program update (build number 9.0.2011).

In terms of the core product changes, here's the list:
  • We have finally fully rewritten the WebShield so that it now doesn't work as a "transparent proxy" anymore. I.e. no more routing of all HTTP traffic through the AvastSvc.exe process - which should hopefully result in no more conflicts with various firewalls (especially older firewalls that can't handle transparent proxies) and overall improvement in stability and performance. Besides that (and this is really exciting) it allows us to see and detect more threats (the original webshield had some limitations).
  • The Firewall component (in IS and Premier) has also changed dramatically. We spent quite some time making it more compatible with other applications, such as Java and various VPN services.
  • The installer/updater has been improved to allow more reliable installation in case of infected machines. The installer is now protected by the avast self-defense driver from the very beginning, making it harder for active malware to kill it (if you have problems starting the installer in the first place, it may be a good idea to try to rename the executable to a random name first)
  • The changes in the File System Shield's driver should result in faster performance, especially in the copy files and install programs scenarios.
  • We have also beefed up the Browser Cleanup tool to be able to rip off even the more stubborn toolbars and other "PUBEs" (Pontentially Unwanted Browser Extensions
    smiley.gif
    )
  • We have also fixed a whole bunch of bugs reported in the last couple of months. Especially if you encountered a problem with R1, I suggest you try this new version, chances are that the problem is resolved there.
  • For trialware users, we have also added an interactive tutorial that explains all the features of the product in a straightforward, concise manner.

In addition to the core, there's two more things included in this version:
  • Connectivity to the new avast! GrimeFighter product. GrimeFighter is our take on PC Optimization / tuneup and is the result of the Jumpshot acquisition that we did earlier this year. This will be a standalone product (sold separately) but has some connections into Avast. It is really a cool product (and I encourage everyone to give it a try) - technically, it's Linux based, although you wouldn't be able to tell as it's perfectly skinned and does a good job at hiding all the complexities. For GrimeFighter, we will have a phased rollout for particular configurations. Over the next few weeks, users should look out for GrimeFighter pop-ups notifying them how we can improve their PC performance.
  • SafePrice is a new, optional module of the Avast browser plugins. It's designed to combine security (hence the "safe" part) with best deals (hence the "price") into one, easy-to-use module. It's pretty silent (almost invisible) unless you search for a specific product -- in which case, it would pop up a price comparison and allow you to pick one of the deals in the trusted stores. The feature can be turned on or off through the browser plugin settings. For Safe Price, we are doing a gradual global rollout. We will increase the rollout over the coming weeks.

Known issues:
  • AOS plugin doesn´t work with "Enhanced Protected Mode" enabled in IE 11

Download locations
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup.exe

avast! cleaner: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe

It should be possible to install this version on top of your existing avast! installation (all settings should be preserved). Or you can use in-product updater.

thanks a lot, enjoy this release!!!

Reactions: jim lin

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I always download Final build like this one. Never beta or RC builds.
You are welcome :)

Reactions: NSG001

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
thank you BoraMurdar :)

it looks like some are having trouble upgrading to this version so if you run into problems installing using the
updater within the program you should do a clean install using the Avast uninstall tool then reinstall

if using a pay version of Avast be sure to have your KEY info before you uninstall as you might need to
re-enter it after reinstalling and using the Avast cleaner

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=142936.0

avast! cleaner: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe <----- Avast uninstall tool

:)

James

Reactions: BoraMurdar

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
They started providing Avast Uninstall Tool in the info always when they are releasing new versions for several months I think. Seems that some users have some problems when upgrading Avast like you said.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I thought they said they released the new Web Shield at the launch of V9, no wonder I was having issues with slow browsing. A few weeks ago, I said I had no Google Toolbar option, but it did appear after a reboot (v9.0.2008), but didn't have time to update my post.

Will this be present in all releases of avast V9?

Attachments

• avast9reboot.png
    avast9reboot.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 824

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I thought they said they released the new Web Shield at the launch of V9, no wonder I was having issues with slow browsing. A few weeks ago, I said I had no Google Toolbar option, but it did appear after a reboot (v9.0.2008), but didn't have time to update my post.

Will this be present in all releases of avast V9?
You mean will toolbar be present in all releases?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, the Google Toolbar that Avast offers post-install.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
They are offering Google Chrome and Google Toolbar in their installer as far as I know (actually if I can recall, when the Avast 5 or 6 appeared). Dunno why they will stop offering them. I mean I know why :) , those are crapwares, toolbars, adwares and sh*t but a lot of software has them...

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
Grimefighter is available only for paid version or free users too...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Grimefighter is available only for paid version or free users too...
It will be a separate paid product once it gets out of beta testing. It was only included in Beta versions of Avast products, so far has not been included in any final releases.

Enjoy!! :D

D

Deleted member 178

No thanks for me, i went to an internet shop today to print some pdf. machines were protected by Avast and my usb was clean but all the files was flagged as malicious then deleted right away... lost 1h to go home then refill and re-transfer the files.

"Avast!, we protect you from everything ! really Everything ! "

:p

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
No thanks for me, i went to an internet shop today to print some pdf. machines were protected by Avast and my usb was clean but all the files was flagged as malicious then deleted right away... lost 1h to go home then refill and re-transfer the files.

"Avast!, we protect you from everything ! really Everything ! "

:p

That incident can happen with any AV, I have similar problems on public systems at colleges, libraries and businesses, etc. with McAfee, Norton, FortiClient, AVG, Avira other others. False positives has become a major problem with most AV's.

Thanks. :D

Reactions: Venustus

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The problem was they were just pdf...
Did you try uploading them to VirusTotal and see if they were detected by other AV engines?

Pdf files can get infected but it is rare, however when I went to my local copy and printing store to print some mail-in rebates, their AV also detected my Pdf documents. I believe they were using McAfee. When I scanned the pdf documents with VirusTotal several other AV engines also detected them as infected. The Pdf documents were downloaded from AMD and ASUS websites and were clean.

Thanks. :D

D

Deleted member 178

I created them myself so totally clean, more and more, detection becomes the weak element of security softs

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.