Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Which one do you prefer in terms of protection and resources usage? I refer to these two specific products used along with Windows (8) firewall. :)

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
spywar said:
I'd say both but in term of normal protection needed for all users : Avast.
You can also use CIS 6 it's user friendly, full suite ...

thanks spywar! I 've tried CIS 6, it's very good indeed but I want sth light on my system (and free of charge) so Avast 8 free seems to be the best choice for me. As for the firewall I 'll leave Win8 firewall and all will be ok with some frequent scans of third party scanners. Also Avast is the product that I've used most of all and it has never dissapointed me. Back to Avast!!!

D

Deleted member 178

Nikos751 said:
spywar said:
You should also use MBAM quick scan/per week.

It is already installed ;) Where are we going without MBAM? :p

Very far ! i dont use it anymore, MBAM is for cleaning infected system; with a properly done config you will normally not be infected so MBAM will be not necessary.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
both are good i prefer comodo as i like hips but if you want something silent then go for avast,also avast interface is better than CIS 6 in my opinion.but if you like to control everything in your pc then go for CIS6 like me :D

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
But not at the same level.
That's your opinion. 2 years ago, Avast only relied on signatures as its AutoSandbox (without FileRep) was useless V5/V6 were almost only signatures based. They are improving prevention a lot nowadays.
Plus, average users don't like to see their apps (which are safe) being sandboxed all the time ...

D

Deleted member 178

For prevention, nothing can compare with an HIPS or BB or Full virtualized sandbox; Comodo has all three. Even if the AV can't detect the malware, the other three will block it.

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
For prevention, nothing can compare with an HIPS or BB or Full virtualized sandbox; Comodo has all three.
Comodo's default settings : Partially Limited.
Avast's default settings : Fully virtualised.
Now don't want to do another A vs B that's pretty pointless just wait to see new AV-C or AV-test to see improvements done over V8 (in backend and also AutoSandbox).
BTW, most people want silent AV not too much alerts, good web protection : Avast is one of the best choice.
I did use CIS for about 4 years and I also recommend it but for someone who wants to install it and forget it no.

D

Deleted member 178

Comodo's default settings : Partially Limited.
Avast's default settings : Fully virtualised.
[/quote]

if you let as default ... just blame yourself ^^

Now don't want to do another A vs B that's pretty pointless just wait to see new AV-C or AV-test to see improvements done over V8 (in backend and also AutoSandbox).

It is what the OP asked ^^

btw, i dont trust test labs.

BTW, most people want silent AV not too much alerts, good web protection : Avast is one of the best choice.
I did use CIS for about 4 years and I also recommend it but for someone who wants to install it and forget it no.

if i want an Install & Forget , i will not choose Avast or CIS ^^

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
Nikos751 said:
spywar said:
You should also use MBAM quick scan/per week.

It is already installed ;) Where are we going without MBAM? :p

Very far ! i dont use it anymore, MBAM is for cleaning infected system; with a properly done config you will normally not be infected so MBAM will be not necessary.
You say that I don't need a third party scanner? ok, If I blow up my PC with other apps that add security layers it will be almost improssible to be infected. But there is no perfection in security as I know, so in every case a third party scanner is needed to be used once in a time. Especially for me that I don't have anything more that Avast 8 free, trafficlight addon, Windows firewall, UAC + Windows smartscreen with standard account.
Do I say something wrong? If so, correct me :)

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
I agree, for me Prevention > Detection ; so i go for CAV.
Avast seems to be very good in prevention too, as spywar has done some very interesting tests that show it's strength. Has CAV the same level of protection in total or better?

D

Deleted member 178

Nikos751 said:
Especially for me that I don't have anything more that Avast 8 free, trafficlight addon, Windows firewall, UAC + Windows smartscreen with standard account.
Do I say something wrong? If so, correct me :)

with that you already don't need another scanner

it will be not easy to find a malware that bypass UAC + Smartscreen especially in a standard account; and with Avast and BDTL in top of that , it makes it more difficult to be infected.

Nikos751 said:
Avast seems to be very good in prevention too, as spywar has done some very interesting tests that show it's strength. Has CAV the same level of protection in total or better?

Avast strength is based on its signatures and Autosandbox, where CIS on its HIPS and BB.

Since with an HIPS, i have full control of what is run on my system, for me its protection is superior; of course you must have a decent knowledge of your system files/processes; if not you will screw your system. It's is why Comodo is still made for intermediate/advanced users while Avast is fine for all kind of users.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Just a question for thought;

You need to decide on which one to use: You need it to protect your PC without an active Internet Connection for a short period of time. You may need to plug-in external USB drives, you may need to run a few programs from that USB drive. So, which one would you choose?

There are 2 valid answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.