Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Out of curiosity, how many of you that use avast resorted to Silent/Gaming mode due to its "ads"? I assume those that resorted to such method, do not use Hardener mode correct?

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
I'm currently using Avast. I have not resorted to using the Gaming mode feature because as I understand it, if Hardened mode is enabled (which I've done) and Hardened mode is set to aggressive it will not display any alerts thrown up by that process. But in all fairness, the amount of ads I see now are far and few in between. Much better than some months ago.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
If you're talking about the popup ads you can just block them easily.

D

Deleted member 2913

I have uninstalled Avast free coz of ads & the size of popup ads is also bigger now.

Reactions: yigido

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
If you're talking about the popup ads you can just block them easily.
Last I checked, no way to fully block (officially) it unless you use Silent mode, on the free version. Paid version you can simply opt out.

59er

Level 1
Apr 23, 2015
Using avast free, hardened mode set to aggressive. PUP detector activated.
I switch back and forth with silent/gaming mode on and off. 'ON' it does not give warnings, at least for PUPs. For example, I was downloading racetracks for for a video game and often the downloads would fail. Trying again with silent mode off, a PUP warning would pop up for some of the tracks.
With the setting 'off', as others have said, the advertising pop ups are few and far between. During the past 10 days there were two pop up's for Avast For Business Free. No big deal, gone in 5 seconds, or faster if with a mouse click. The Avast For Business pop ups were pretty big, approaching double the size of previous ads.
Cheers!

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Last I checked, no way to fully block (officially) it unless you use Silent mode, on the free version. Paid version you can simply opt out.
There is no need for silent mode to be active. You just need to block inbound and outbound connections for "avastui.exe" - I can confirm that it worked the last time I tried it.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
There is no need for silent mode to be active. You just need to block inbound and outbound connections for "avastui.exe" - I can confirm that it worked the last time I tried it.
How can we be sure that if someone blocks this executable from connecting to the internet, it won't block other network features of avast?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Nikos751 : Well actually the method mentioned is not already work prior on version 5 from its changes, and as on the moment none of update tricks are posted elsewhere in the net.

Reactions: Nikos751
D

Deleted member 2913

Latest Stable Avast Free
Win 10 64

Win FW - Go to Advanced Settings - Top left side click "Outbound Rules" - Top right side click "New Rule" - Check that "Program" is selected - Click next - Check that "This program path" is selected & paste "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe" without quotes - Click next - Check "Block the connection" is selected - Click next - Check all the "3" options are selected - Click next - Paste "AvastUI" without quotes in the option "Name" - Click finish.

Comodo FW - Set CFW to "Custom" - There will be couple popups - Check the popups description - There will be a popup for "AvastUI" - Select 'Remember This" & click "Block" on the popup for "AvastUI".

Win FW - I am running Win FW. And have blocked "AvastUI" as mentioned above.
Everything seems fine i.e Realtime/WebShield alerts, databases/streaming updates, hardened mode alerts, etc...

Comodo FW - I had blocked "AvastUI" as mentioned above. And ads/popups were not there. Forgot to check Avast functioning as mentioned above for Win FW. I think Avast should work fine.

Note - Only thing I noticed that Avast help links from the GUI mention "You are offline". So online content is not available & only offline content is available.

UPDATE -
It seems blocking of AvastUI.exe as mentioned by me above in one of my posts takes care of all the Avast craps i.e no ads/popups, no upgrade button on the main GUI, no ads on the main GUI, no Chrome/Toolbar offers options during install/upgrade, etc...

I uninstalled Avast Free. But didn't remove the block rule for AvastUI.exe from Win FW.
I had a previous installer so installed Avast Free. No Chrome/Toolbar offers options during install. I then upgraded to the latest version & no Chrome/Toolbar offers options during upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
I have been running Avast free for about a month now. I think in that month I've had maybe 3 pop ups I can live with that, and like 59er said they are gone in a couple seconds.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What do these "Avast Ads" look like?

D

Deleted member 2913

What do these "Avast Ads" look like?
On the main GUI at the bottom...Ads for Avast paid products, mobile AV, etc...
TrayIcon popup ads for Avast paid products, mobile AV, etc... Initially the popup size was the same as Avast threat alerts, etc... Later the ads popup size was doubled. Currently dont know what all ads/popups are there & popup size?

Recently I installed Avast Free & didn't wait to see the ads/popups...but blocked AvastUI.exe as mentioned in one of my previous posts above to avoid those. It works fine & seems doesn't affect other functionalities.
Yesterday upgraded to the latest version from the GUI & still works fine i.e no popups/ads, etc...

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I have never been a fan of in your face advertising.An ad 2-3 times is acceptable but when the garbage is pushed on a constant scale then its totally unacceptable.

D

Deleted member 2913

Is Chrome or Google toolbar still pushed with upgrades?

I upgraded yesterday & didn't get any.
I have Chrome installed. Guess if Chrome is already installed then you dont get Chrome install with upgrades.
But I didn't get Google toolbar install or any others too. Dont know if they have stopped adding these with upgrades?
Or blocking AvastUI blocks these too:);)

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
CyZdyNb.jpg

This is a german Ad-popup on Avast Free. In this case for Avast Business Cloud (Free Business security product)

Reactions: Ink

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
This is exactly why i stopped using avast as it seems intent on joining the the ad band wagon and playing its annoying tune.
As i have said in other posts v5 was the best which was clean and unclutterd.Garbage free avast ah those were the glory days.:)

As far as free protection is concerned i would consider comodo the best option which is 99% ad-free.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.