DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I really don't know whether to think this is a good thing or bad thing... I always liked Avast but... AVG? Hmm. I guess we will have to wait and see how it all plays out! :)

This can go really good or really bad. Hopefully not the latter...
I agree !

=> All people must remember the "fusion" in DBZ ! The result could be surprising :rolleyes:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
After Avast buying AVG it was expected that Avast would implement IDP in their product.

I think that Avast's behavioural blocker didn't performed as good as they hoped.
Some components of AVG have shown their good performance the last few years and one of them is IDP.

So buying AVG to implement these components i think is a good move from Avast.

The only thing is left to see is that if they will offer these components to their free product.

Or only to paid:cool:?
Seeing what they paid for AVG, it may be in the paid version, then later added to the free ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Some components of AVG have shown their good performance the last few years and one of them is IDP.
Before ID Protection was integrated into AVG Antivirus for Windows, I tested the product against basic malware (many years ago) and it performed well. If I were to use AVG ever again, it would solely be down to it's ID Protection (Behaviour Blocker). Currently, I do not like the AVG User Experience.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
AVG idp used to be very , very week in the past but since the 2015 version it got a major upgrade due to their a.i. engine and " crowd -cloud " ( aka the by many dreaded " data harvesting " ) this is needed to get optimum protection. it is a nice product , but it has to much nagging screens and excess bloat. also the forced install of AVG zen whas one of the reasons for me dropping them.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
AVG IDP was Primary Response Safe Connect, which was one of the first behavior blockers. Threatfire (PC Tools) and Mamutu (EAM) performed better against all sorts of PoC's and made PRSC life hard. Looking at the test IDP of AVG started to improve in 2015 as mentioned by @Trickster because it was fed with harvested behavioral/telemetry patterns.

There must be more to it that harvesting telemetry patterns to make a great behavioral blocker. Microsoft harvests tons of telemetry data and the behavioral blocker of Windows Defender is also made "OS ware" and although WD has improved significantly since Windows 10, the BB seems to work in the background more as intrusion detection than intrusion blocker tool.

Well we just have to wait, but nice thing is that AVG and AVAST have a tradition of offering freeware, which increases the pressure on competitors to develop paid products which are worth the price difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.