Not open for further replies.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Avast users, if your Windows 10 Anniversary Update is failing, here's why..

Users who have Avast’s antimalware solution on a PC with Intel microprocessors are reporting Blue Screens of Death (BSODs) when installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Avast users report that when the AU process is kicked off, the PC will eventually crash with a “system thread exception not handled” error. The system then reverts to the previous version of Windows, forcing the user to re-download the update (if they hadn’t previously downloaded it to a USB stick) and begin the update process anew. I have a machine running Avast, and I had the same experience as others reported.

Why this matters: Every new piece of code has the potential to introduce bugs, and the AU is indeed a massive piece of code. The purpose behind the Insider builds is to work out all these bugs before the general public encounters them, but it appears Avast’s engineers missed something. Fortunately, Windows already provides anti-malware protection while Avast sorts things out.

What’s happening, and how to fix it
As the complaints piled up, Avast acknowledged the problem in its support forums. Based on posts by users and Avast, it seems to be some sort of conflict between Avast, the AU, and Intel’s virtualization technology—even, perhaps, if virtualization is disabled. Affected products include the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 but also, apparently, any tablet or notebook running Avast on top of the affected Intel Core chips.

“...[T]he issue really seems to occur only on the last generation of Intel CPUs,” Petr Chytil, a quality assurance director for Avast, wrote on an Avast support forum. “Previous generations of Intel Core CPUs are fine. Moreover, it did not show up during the testing on the Win 10 preview builds.”

If you do have Avast installed and want to upgrade to the AU in the meantime, you’ll need to uninstall the Avast program. If that fails (as it did for me) Avast has also published a dedicated ”avastclear” application to facilitate the uninstallation process. (You may need to reboot into Safe Mode with Networking to get that to work.) After uninstalling Avast, launch the AU again; it should install normally. Don’t re-install Avast after the update completes, however, as the “system thread exception” error reportedly reappears. The Avast update should fix this, however.

Continue reading this article at the link at the top of the page

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for the share :)

"but it appears Avast’s engineers missed something."
“Previous generations of Intel Core CPUs are fine. Moreover, it did not show up during the testing on the Win 10 preview builds.”

Too many users get the Free version, so Avast hasn't got enough money to test with last generation of Intel core :p

(Am I the only one who let all its protection tools ON (KTS, ZAM, VS) and didn't had any problem updating !?)

Last edited:

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thanks for the heads up dude @Logethica. I am yet to do the update for my laptop.
You are welcome @King Mellow ...Me either.I will probably do it next week if I am happy that Avast has patched its AU issues...
(Who knows...M$ may have released an AU patch themselves by sometime next week)
Good luck with your update,whenever you decide is best to do it.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.