App Review Avast Can't Stop A Gun!

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It should be:
Avast can't stop the gun.:unsure:
Antivirus is like policy in the town. It is very useful but cannot stop all guns.(y)
The test shows this only for Avast, but it would be stupid to assume that other AVs are better.
There are some other wrong assumptions, like:

1. If criminals shot yesterday fewer people in town A than in town B a week ago, then the police in town A works better as compared to B.
  2. If yesterday the police in town A arrested a few people and they were all black, then most people in town are black.
  3. If yesterday the police arrested a few criminals then they represented for sure all gangs and criminal organizations in town.
  4. etc.
The above is closely related to conclusions made on the basis of one AV test made in the one particular day. If someone wants to conclude from this test how strong is Avast, then please read carefully the points 1-3 again.:giggle:
It would be interesting to compare the results of all YouTube AV tests in the period of half a year.:emoji_ok_hand:

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I'm no fan or customer of the company, but Avast got deals that made them a major player in the security business no matter what one might think or feel of the company itself and it's products.

Vincent Steckler, Chief Executive of Avast
"We have started the year well. Our first quarter performance has been strong, continuing the trading momentum seen in the second half of 2018.
“The Group's cost-effective user acquisition model and large, global user base of more than 435m users remain key competitive strengths for the business. Our market-leading levels of profitability and strong cash generation mean we continue to execute our growth strategy with confidence, and Group expectations for the full year remain unchanged.”

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
He said he used Avast at default settings. I think hardened mode aggressive would have stopped it
Avast Hardened Mode Aggressive can be "bypassed" by running obfuscated scripts or macros which can load malicious DLLs into the memory of scripting engine or can inject the DLLs into another legal process. There were such samples in the wild.

Edit
I wrote "bypassed" in quotes because Avast Hardened Mode Aggressive is not intended to stop DLLs and scripts.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
AVG have not hardened mode
Last time I tried AVG Free, it was there, but that was some time ago. It is mentioned here for example.

MalwareTypes

Level 1
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
As a side note, which beloved-by-many antivirus doesn't have it in their signatures either?: VirusTotal

Kaspersky. Does it mean anything? Not much really.

However, what this "virus" does reminds me of a couple of simple "fun/funny" apps back when Windows 7 just got out that kinda worked as a screensaver. I remember those because when I was a child I kinda found it amusing.

stefanos

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
As a side note, which beloved-by-many antivirus doesn't have it in their signatures either?: VirusTotal

Kaspersky. Does it mean anything? Not much really.

However, what this "virus" does reminds me of a couple of simple "fun/funny" apps back when Windows 7 just got out that kinda worked as a screensaver. I remember those because when I was a child I kinda found it amusing.
kaspersky what ?

Reactions: oldschool

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
AVG have hardened mode in the new version
And it seems to be enabled by default?

Signing up for Avast/AVG means you sign up to be spied on in a big way. Their primary business is metrics and big data.

Also their little hidden things remind me of spyware.
Is it still the case after user turns off the toggles under User privacy?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.