Advice Request Avast custom config

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti Vir

Thread author
Dec 29, 2014
I just installed the basic program, and I want to keep it light and simple, so I'm just using File Shield, that's it. I'm not sure about some of the options like 'deep scan' and "enable reputation services." I disabled these for now, as neither one seems essential.

My philosophy is, keep it simple. I think with the real-time shields, a weekly scheduled full scan and Malwarebytes, I should be fine. Maybe I should be using something like BitDefender Free, since it's so "hands off", but I've read there's no customization at all, which I don't like.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
You should use Deep Scan and Reputation Services.
I also have set from Web Shield > Warn when downloading files with low reputation
Hardened Mode on Aggressive, check Scan for PUPs.
From File System Shield > HIPS on 3

Other settings I have:
From General, I've check Status Monitoring > Program version
From Update, Program > Automatic update

Reactions: Online_Sword

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You may use Hardened Mode if necessarily but make sure to keep on eye for possible blockings of legitimate program even you set to normal mode.

Deep Scan may unchecked by default so better consider it, other than that you are good to go. ;)

* Deep Scan requirement is from hardware virtualization which your computer is supplement already, in order to scan those files within full control or in short [hypervisor mode].

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I agree with @OpenSecLabs those settings are quite essential for better protection. Disabling them wouldn't do you much good.

Deep scan uses Avast's new sandboxing technique to run the programme in question first just to check if it downloads anything weird or raises any flags, if it doesn't then it would allow the programme to run anyway.

Reputation Services uses the millions of users out there as a way to deter malware by checking if this file has been downloaded a lot of times or is it very very new (usually if there is a very small amount of users and the file is new it can be a source of malware).

Reactions: Kate_L

Anti Vir

Thread author
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks. Are deepscan and rep services going to cause any kind of slowdown when web browsing?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Anti Vir: By nature the effect of slowdown in web browsing may contribute but totally very minimal, so that should not be a major issue though. I've seen many internet shop installed Avast Free without slowdowns on browsing. ;)

S

SayanQ

You should use Deep Scan and Reputation Services.
I also have set from Web Shield > Warn when downloading files with low reputation
Hardened Mode on Aggressive, check Scan for PUPs.
From File System Shield > HIPS on 3

Other settings I have:
From General, I've check Status Monitoring > Program version
From Update, Program > Automatic update
Hey if Hardened Mode set to Aggressive/Modareted,Deep Scan not working at all:)

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
That is true, only a few people are using Hardened Mode. If you are a programmer or you do other stuff, you should disable it and then Deep Scan will protect you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.