Avast database reducing

Status
Not open for further replies.

amz

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
After each update, number of virus definitions shown in avast is reducing. It never increases. Is this normal or any probs with avast update?

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Total malwares is skyrocketing in recent years
print_malware-all-years_sum_en.png

New Malware is also increasing
print_malware-all-years_en.png

So there is no reason that malware database should decrease.

MalwareDetective

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 16, 2013
I agree with Umbra. I'm a member in their forum and they are trying to focus on prevention and not on database (like norton did).
For example in AVAST 2014 they have Deep Screen that analyze some files before opening them

Reactions: amz

amz

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
When I installed avast it had about 244xxxxx definitions and now around 240xxxxx within a week.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
They've been practising this for a few years now, and probably still are by the looks of it.
https://blog.avast.com/2010/09/06/spring-cleaning-in-our-virus-database/

Initially, each group began as small, as just one sample. As this grows, we deploy polymorphic detections which cover hundreds to thousands of previously machine generated detections.

Now it is time to clean up and reduce the number of unnecessary detections. The main reason for this is to decrease the size of our virus database updates sent to users around the globe. This will reduce the amount of transferred data, subsequently reducing the amount of needed energy and helping, of course, our forests.
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.