Avast false positive windows xp sp3 file 'sfloppy.sys' (Fixed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
RE: Avast false positive windows xp sp3 file 'sfloppy.sys'

Nasty false positive as this file is a core file of the Windows operating system.......

Description:

File Sfloppy.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows 7/XP are 11,392 bytes (91% of all occurrence), 10,496 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. It is a Windows core system file. The program has no visible window. File Sfloppy.sys is a trustworthy file from Microsoft. The application is not active. There is no detailed description of this service. Sfloppy.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 0% dangerous.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Glad that damage is really low since its a critical widows file that function everyday boot up.

Also the issue is already fixed.

Hello,
the issue (causing false positive) was resolved. VPS will be released asap.

Milos

Link

Reply #67 on: Yesterday at 02:58:10 PM

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

Files that are detected when doing a scan or navigating the system should never be deleted before confirming that indeed the detection is really malicious. When I used real time AV, the first setting that I changed was the one that gave me option on what to do if something gets detected. I would never use an AV that automatically deletes files, nobody should . The user should have the option of sending the file to quarantine or the virus chest if ignore is not an option. Personally, I would not even send files to quarantine neither, unless I was certain that the file is malicious.

As of late (2 years), Avast has been doing this kind of thing a little too often, they fix it quickly but they should be more careful about system files, in my opinion. Most false positives are no big deal but system files can render a machine useless and not able to reboot.

Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.