Advice Request Avast Firewall similar to Windows Firewall?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Does Avast Firewall provide any protection or its kinda Windows Firewall?

Most of the time I read users mention pair Avast with Windows Firewall instead of getting AIS.

@RejzoR would be able to provide more information about the working of Avast as he is quite active in the Avast forums!!
I have never used it so can't comment!!
Having said that, windows native firewall is quite good!!
If you must use something that is a bit more talkative you could give this a shot!!:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Guys, I meant Windows FW default settings & Avast Firewall default settings.
It seems to me Avast FW is kinda Windows FW, nothing much protection in default settings.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Guys, I meant Windows FW default settings & Avast Firewall default settings.
It seems to me Avast FW is kinda Windows FW, nothing much protection in default settings.

To be honest, I don't think many people have tested Avast firewall much.

In my opinion, I think it is a little better than Windows FW. Why? Because of outbound protection on suspicious applications and low file rep apps. I received popups every so often asking me if I wan't to allow this program to access the internet.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
To be honest, I don't think many people have tested Avast firewall much.

In my opinion, I think it is a little better than Windows FW. Why? Because of outbound protection on suspicious applications and low file rep apps. I received popups every so often asking me if I wan't to allow this program to access the internet.
You received Avast FW popups in default settings?

Reactions: AtlBo and Venustus

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Well, avast! firewall heavily relies on Hardened mode whitelist, which is why you rarely see popups for anything. Which is not the case for Windows Firewall which is rather dumb in comparison. Though I'm not going to say Windows Firewall is bad. As far as inbound traffic goes, it's pretty good.

I frankly don't care as much about leak tests as I just want basic program control. I also expect firewalls to pass GRC's ShieldsUp test without exceptions: https://www.grc.com

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I haven't seen a single popup from Avast FW in default settings in my experience & any YouTube, etc... tests.

In default settings, no application control i.e is it kinda Windows FW, incoming blocked & outgoing allowed?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Sometimes I get the Private/Public Avast FW popup.

How to set Avast FW so that connections are automatically set to "Public" & no popup?

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
It's more configurable compared to Windows's FW if you have the Home edition that doesn't comes with gpedit.msc, and obviously a little more secure because it checks the reputation of the processes that are making connections to the internet, personally I like Avast's one.
Greetings ;)

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Does "Private" & "Public" matter in Avast FW?

I thought "Public" would be safer as I dont have Home Network But if I select "Public" then programs updates, Skype login works but browsing doesn't works i.e I get "took too long". And if I select "Private" then no probs.

Reactions: Venustus and AtlBo
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
And now noticed another thing.

If you disable Avast shields then you cant access internet.

Avast is buggy or bad design.

Reactions: Venustus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.