Status
Not open for further replies.

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
I like Avast a lot, but I am currently trying ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus. They both offer some very good features. Both run light and no browsing slowdowns. The only drawback with ZA is the 24 hour update, but you can do it manually. Just wondered what any one else thinks of either one. Thanks.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
As far as I know you can't do an update offline, but yet again I could be wrong. I would stick to Avast only for the reason because of the update can be done more then once a day.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You can still download ZA Free Firewall without AV, so you can have the best of both worlds. :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
While the Advanced Download Protection from Zone Alarm is quite good and can pottentially save you from an infection , the fact that you can only update the Kaspersky AV (that's the engine that Zone Alarm is using) once a day is a serious minus point.
Also Zone Alarm lacks some much need it features that Avast 7 Free has , like Auto-Sandbox and File Reputation , and the simple fact that it has a great antivirus engine which is always up-to-date makes it the winner.
Like Earth said the best combo could be Avast 7 Free with Zone Alarm Firewall :)

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks everyone. I agree for a free alternative, Avast is hard to beat. The latest version actually has as good or better detection scores than many paid AV's. I just had to try ZA and like it better than the other free AV's, but Avast will be back on my PC tonight. I have Windows 7, so I'm may not be losing a whole lot of protection by not having the ZA Application Control and Operating System Firewall. I think if the ZA updates were more frequent I would reconsider. I have used Online Armor Free with Avast in the past and they ran well together. May add it again. Take care.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
My tip for you is to take avast 7 with comodo firewall (cfw), online armor firewall (oaf) or other 3rd part firewall; Zone alarm's firewall is not the best, and very basic firewall, the pro-version does offer much more either if I compare with comodo firewall or online armor. As their pro-version, just like cfw and oaf, it offer a HIPS feature but it's not strong and doesn't provide any additional functionally worth that price.

if you want one suit Comodo Internet Security (CIS) is adviceable or Kaspersky Internet Security if you don't mind a payed IS.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
malwarekiller said:
In cases of avast,yes it's awesome!

see what i am talking about:
http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php/Stats/VirusDailyStats

You should pay more attention how well it does again unlisted malware; every AV will catch any malware that is within it's signature, which doesn't show how well it protect your system.

kntofdth

May 9, 2012
Wordward said:
I like Avast a lot, but I am currently trying ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus. They both offer some very good features. Both run light and no browsing slowdowns. The only drawback with ZA is the 24 hour update, but you can do it manually. Just wondered what any one else thinks of either one. Thanks.

I think zonealarm fares better than avast as it provides features like a firewall and download protection.Avast version 6 let me down as a lot viruses got through.

And yes you can update it as many times manually ( Its actually really slow though)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.