Avast! Free Antivirus 2016

What is your personal opinion of Avast! Free Antivirus?

• Total voters
Product name
Avast! Free Antivirus
Pros
  • 1.)Very lightweight(10MB-20MB)
    2.)Very good signatures with Evo-gen and Filerep-metagen,DeepScreen(Also good at zero-day threats)
    3.)Excellent Phishing Protection
    4.)Self protection features
    5.)Hardend Mode:Moderate and Aggressive
    6.)Fast scanning speed
    7.) Home Network Scanning(HNS) feature
    8) SafeZone browser for Banking and shopping protection(available for free as same as paid)
CONS
1.) Quite a few false positives
2.)HIPS feature not as effective as others
3.)GUI AD and few Pop-up
BOTTOM LINE
4 Stars,although FP is a issue but recently avast! improved their FP issue,the fast scanning speed and very well zero-day protection.I recommend you check out other reviews to make informed decisions on which security programs to use.

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Avast has greatly improved. I'm happy with that, I've used Avast one time ago.
It's getting better every version, I do not use at the moment, but I know people who use and praise the product.
It's nice to see free products better and better, just like the Avira. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I cannot decide but 3.5/5 would be my rating, rounded to 4/5. It's a solid product, but they could execute it better to make it a better solution.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I cannot decide but 3.5/5 would be my rating, rounded to 4/5. It's a solid product, but they could execute it better to make it a better solution.

Out of curiosity what do you mean by "execute" ?

SecretKeeper

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 25, 2015
I've owned Avast Free since however long ago it was when it used to shout "Caution, a virus has been detected." :D

It's never let me down once. Although I don't download things that look dodgy or visit dodgy sites - but when I do by accident, it's always been there to stop me. My issues with it is that it takes up a lot of resources and can degrade overall device performance slightly. Plus, it's a little overly sensitive. I tried running the Minecraft Launcher a few days back and it told me that the launcher's URL was malicious.

But, other than that - it's the best i've owned and I recommend it to everyone who asks for an Antivirus. 4/5 :)

Reactions: Varok and DJ Panda

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Out of curiosity what do you mean by "execute" ?
Not everything is clear to the user in the first instance, but..

In general, without going into specifics, brushing up and deciding what should go or stay in Avast Free - not reintroduce features only to remove later, like in the last few yearly releases. Remote Assistance, AccessAnywhere, First-run Wizard, just to name a few.

In my book, it has potential to reclaim first prize for best free antivirus.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I like the distribution of features of Avast Free even in paid version, however the problem relies where it performs not so effective.

Compare to Kaspersky where the TAM is deadly when configured correctly, nonetheless one of the most generous company to provide vital components into full package even free version. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.