Avast! Free Antivirus Test and Review (max settings)

Product name
Avast! Free Antivirus
Pros
  • -Nice user interface
    -Low on memory usage (42 MB)
    -Blocked all links (some of them didn't functioned)
    -Very high detection rate 99.5%
    -Behavioural blocking did great job.
CONS
-None.
BOTTOM LINE
-Avast is best free antivirus so far. I definetly recommend it for everyone who wants free and simple.I'm also using it on my pc and it's using 15MB of RAM.
M

MalwareT

Thread author
The antivirus solution from developer avast! comes in many flavors and most users opt for the free edition for obvious reasons. This does not make it any less reliable, however. The program features intuitive, advanced and customizable scanning methods along with other modules dedicated to computer safety.

Complete and customizable installation package

The installer is completely configurable when it comes to shields (for files, emails and web), security tools and preferred languages. Since it is ad-supported, the utility offers to install unnecessary third-party components but they can be skipped.

The security tools include browser protection and cleanup (e.g. Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox), software updater for other programs installed, remote assistance for access on other computers, SecureLine for connection encryption agsinst spyware via VPN, GrimeFighter for system cleanup and maintenance, Rescue Disk for worst case scenarios with malware-crippled PCs, and a simple management connector that reports the avast! status to COM monitoring software.

Modern and attractive interface

avast! is wrapped in a pleasant and easy-to-use interface which provides fast access to the av status, scanning methods, tools, portable devices with avast! installed for remote control (smartphones, tablets), statistics (real-time and historical data, component status), as well as the rich configuration area.

Various scan modes with user-defined settings

It is possible to perform a quick scan in areas where malware is known to hide, complete by taking into account the entire computer, in removable drives only, custom directories, or at every Windows boot in autostart processes and services.

It is not necessary to change any settings, since avast! has a pretty decent default configuration. But advanced users have the possibility to fiddle with options regarding rootkits, file types, the exact scan areas, heuristics, PUP and suspicious files, archive formats, action on malware detection, scan priority, reports, exclusions, and scan scheduling.

Unconfirmed suspected infections sent to the quarantine may be investigated to decide whether to keep or eliminate them, while reports with scan activities may be examined in logs.

Other security tools

The software updater automatically finds updates available for other programs, SecureLine must be purchased before it can be used, the browser cleanup component removes toolbars and resets browser settings to default if necessary, AccessAnywhere requires an avast! account (free) to control the PC from remote locations, and Rescue Disk creates a bootable USB or CD drive with the latest virus definitions to use for offline scanning and cleaning.

Performance and conclusion

System resources can be hogged or spared, depending on how fast users want the scans to finish. It is possible to disable the file system, mail or web shield with one click and customize settings for each one of them. As far as virus detection ratio is concerned, avast! Free Antivirus delivers very good results, which places it among the top-rated antivirus solutions on the current market.

Overall rating:
One.PNG

Video review:

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Thanks for the test, it's indeed one of the best free AV on world wide web. Yes it's ads supported but at least that's something free user should expected. Just a single one click it's disappeared, also user can block it easily if they want and the ads are gone forever :)

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Unfortunately Avast slows down the user experience considerably compared to Avira free. Although, Avast allows faster cold start of apps than Avira. I had found some flaws concerning performance in Avira but they seem to be gone now.
They both have similar protection abilities but avast aggressive mode will be a big plus when they fix it so not to be buggy.

Last edited:

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I used to be an Avira user, not satisfied by their version 10, I switched to Avast and been using it since then. I'm not bothered should they fare poorly on comparative test. As far as my tests goes it has the highest detection rate here compared to Panda, ESET, Avira, AVG, MSE, etc. Today I've installed Qihoo IS and tested some old worms (more than a year old) which Qihoo didn't catch but are already detected by Avast, Avira, Kaspersky, etc. Comparatively speaking, Avast have a smaller FP than Qihoo in my rig.

@Malware Test Great review. You really gave justice to Avast. Totally agree with the 5 star rating

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I used to be an Avira user, not satisfied by their version 10, I switched to Avast and been using it since then. I'm not bothered should they fare poorly on comparative test. As far as my tests goes it has the highest detection rate here compared to Panda, ESET, Avira, AVG, MSE, etc. Today I've installed Qihoo IS and tested some old worms (more than a year old) which Qihoo didn't catch but are already detected by Avast, Avira, Kaspersky, etc. Comparatively speaking, Avast have a smaller FP than Qihoo in my rig.

@Malware Test Great review. You really gave justice to Avast. Totally agree with the 5 star rating
How do you consider detection rate and you say that it's higher than those others detection? I mean, you talk only for defs and evo/dyna gen or you include hardened mode to it?

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I don't know if this has to do with real world, but if you see latest threads in malwarehub section, Avast is more detective than three-four months ago. Do you agree? I would like to hear what others have to say on this.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Avast is full of bugs......
A lot of people complaining about avast.......Check their facebook page and forum.
  1. Deep screen always allow things.....a big mess
  2. Hardened mode is powerful but it just block, it doesn't delete or quarantine the file, so you are half protected as the files are still there.
  3. Avast definitely sucks in malware cleaning, it always left traces.
  4. It slows down system start up & response after some days of usage....the fact that it uses less ram doesn't mean that is light on system.
It used to be the best once, but not anymore......

This is my personal experience with avast

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Avast is full of bugs......
A lot of people complaining about avast.......Check their facebook page and forum.
  1. Deep screen always allow things.....a big mess
  2. Hardened mode is powerful but it just block, it doesn't delete or quarantine the file, so you are half protected as the files are still there.
  3. Avast definitely sucks in malware cleaning, it always left traces.
  4. It slows down system start up & response after some days of usage....the fact that it uses less ram doesn't mean that is light on system.
It used to be the best once, but not anymore......

This is my personal experience with avast
1,2 are widely known. About the third, what other free AV's with equal detection do you consider better at cleaning?
About the 4th, I have not heard it from other person, only from you. Is it a common issue?

Reactions: Ulikedat and MikeV

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
1,2 are widely known. About the third, what other free AV's with equal detection do you consider better at cleaning?
About the 4th, I have not heard it from other person, only from you. Is it a common issue?

I am not the only who say this (4th)

Avira & Qihoo 360 internet security can do much better at cleaning having better detection than Avast at the same time....

M

MalwareT

Thread author

Thank you, i appreciate that. :)

Reactions: Ulikedat

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
How do you consider detection rate and you say that it's higher than those others detection? I mean, you talk only for defs and evo/dyna gen or you include hardened mode to it?

My test samples are from what I can obtain locally, from local forum, those asking for help in an FB group, computer shop I maintained, from customers's PCs and from other shops. There are a lot of download stations here so malware propagation are mostly thru USB drives. Statistically, I've seen more worms here than trojans. And my AV configuration is based on what you are likely to encounter here.

I mean detection with scan or during execution. I never use deep screen or hardened mode and I am content with those settings off on my own PC but enables deep screen for customers.

Reactions: XhenEd and Nikos751

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
My test samples are from what I can obtain locally, from local forum, those asking for help in an FB group, computer shop I maintained, from customers's PCs and from other shops. There are a lot of download stations here so malware propagation are mostly thru USB drives. Statistically, I've seen more worms here than trojans. And my AV configuration is based on what you are likely to encounter here.

I mean detection with scan or during execution. I never use deep screen or hardened mode and I am content with those settings off on my own PC but enables deep screen for customers.
Interesting info! have you tested 360?

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Interesting info! have you tested 360?

You mean Qihoo IS? Yes. I had it installed yesterday throw in some worms and misses 3 from my samples. At first it slowed my system so I had to uninstall Shadow Defender. Best setting is with BD engine on. I won't be replacing it yet and will continue to test/use 360.

I'll add that these are the most common strains that I encounter.
  1. sality, majority of what I repair have sality
  2. ramnit
  3. vbs worms
  4. other worms *.exe, like daprosy, conficker, etc
  5. virut
  6. brontok, this one is old but I got a sample of this from a customer last month
  7. low-med threat generic trojans
I've only seen a Fake AV once, haven't encountered stuxnet and about 95%+ of what I get from malware packs. These are bases on what I personally encountered.

Reactions: Circe and Nikos751

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.