Avast! Free Antivirus Test and Review (max settings)

Product name
Avast! Free Antivirus
Pros
  • -Nice user interface
    -Low on memory usage (42 MB)
    -Blocked all links (some of them didn't functioned)
    -Very high detection rate 99.5%
    -Behavioural blocking did great job.
CONS
-None.
BOTTOM LINE
-Avast is best free antivirus so far. I definetly recommend it for everyone who wants free and simple.I'm also using it on my pc and it's using 15MB of RAM.

Karl Hustler

Level 1
Verified
Jul 10, 2014
Hi, real new to the site :)
I've just installed Avast last night due to your review, was using Baidu.
It seems this latest programme update is a big improvement from the last for Avast on a few reviews I've seen, what do you think of the removal of the sandbox from the free option?.. It's been since before February that I used Avast.

M

MalwareT

Thread author
Hi, real new to the site :)
I've just installed Avast last night due to your review, was using Baidu.
It seems this latest programme update is a big improvement from the last for Avast on a few reviews I've seen, what do you think of the removal of the sandbox from the free option?.. It's been since before February that I used Avast.

Well, their sandbox is really good, in version 9 is renamed in DeepScreen. I would suggest you to turn it off because it's little bit annoying. There is free program called Sandboxie which is sandbox system. If you want run risky program in sandbox, just right click on file and click "Run sandboxed". Baidu is pretty great,but it has a lot of false positives,so i dont recommend it. Here is video about how sandboxie works and how protected system vs malware pack #10. Anyway, willkommen zu MalwareTips ;) Please if you are new member, introduce yourself to others, thanks.

Karl Hustler

Level 1
Verified
Jul 10, 2014
Well, their sandbox is really good, in version 9 is renamed in DeepScreen. I would suggest you to turn it off because it's little bit annoying. There is free program called Sandboxie which is sandbox system. If you want run risky program in sandbox, just right click on file and click "Run sandboxed". Baidu is pretty great,but it has a lot of false positives,so i dont recommend it. Here is video about how sandboxie works and how protected system vs malware pack #10. Anyway, willkommen zu MalwareTips ;) Please if you are new member, introduce yourself to others, thanks.

Oh I see, I may disable to see how it affects Avasts FP as I'm running a pretty dated machine :)
I think I may have to pick up sandboxie again, I did use it a long while ago, I was told you can install into sandboxie to keep your registry clean?
A little off topic does anyone know of a decent deep registry cleaner, I was using paid Advanced System Care.

Reactions: MalwareT
M

MalwareT

Thread author
Ccleaner is enough

Depends, if his pc is slow, he can use Wise Care 365 which is absolutely safe. I suggest you to disable DeepScreen because it's annoying and once it restarted my pc suddenly without my permission, It wasn't malware, it was HDTune.

M

MalwareT

Thread author
Oh I see, I may disable to see how it affects Avasts FP as I'm running a pretty dated machine :)
I think I may have to pick up sandboxie again, I did use it a long while ago, I was told you can install into sandboxie to keep your registry clean?
A little off topic does anyone know of a decent deep registry cleaner, I was using paid Advanced System Care.

If you tought about installing Avast in Sandboxie, don't do it because Avast will not work properly and will have some malfunctionality.

Karl Hustler

Level 1
Verified
Jul 10, 2014
Probably not a big issue just an observation really, as I have a dated 2.4g Core2 duo CPU and noticed it:p.
Doing anything internet related AvastSvc.exe likes to hit the CPU a little harder than most AV's I've tried, although it's a lot less CPU intensive on other things like opening programmes and usual scanning than most.
AvastSvc.exe can hit 50% CPU usage and hang there for a minute when I start to stream a video, it does settle down after that bouncing between 3%-12% CPU which is unlike any AV I have tried.
Another thing I've noticed is that when I'm downloading anything at all, even a patch for a game the AvastSvc.exe sticks around 30%-50% CPU the entire download.
All the heuristics and shield settings are as set as installed, Like I said not a major issue for me... yet ;)

P.S. that Wise Care seems like a nice system care programme thanks :D

Reactions: MalwareT
M

MalwareT

Thread author
Probably not a big issue just an observation really, as I have a dated 2.4g Core2 duo CPU and noticed it:p.
Doing anything internet related AvastSvc.exe likes to hit the CPU a little harder than most AV's I've tried, although it's a lot less CPU intensive on other things like opening programmes and usual scanning than most.
AvastSvc.exe can hit 50% CPU usage and hang there for a minute when I start to stream a video, it does settle down after that bouncing between 3%-12% CPU which is unlike any AV I have tried.
Another thing I've noticed is that when I'm downloading anything at all, even a patch for a game the AvastSvc.exe sticks around 30%-50% CPU the entire download.
All the heuristics and shield settings are as set as installed, Like I said not a major issue for me... yet ;)

P.S. that Wise Care seems like a nice system care programme thanks :D

Use 360 Total Security, light, free and it has 5 engines: BitDefender,Avira,QVM II,360 Cloud Engine and 360 Repair engine. 360 TS is light and comes without BD and Avira and like that it uses 21MB RAM, but with all engines 150MB .

Karl Hustler

Level 1
Verified
Jul 10, 2014
Use 360 Total Security, light, free and it has 5 engines: BitDefender,Avira,QVM II,360 Cloud Engine and 360 Repair engine. 360 TS is light and comes without BD and Avira and like that it uses 21MB RAM, but with all engines 150MB .

Would you suggest 360 Total security over Avast on a dated machine used mostly for steaming?

Karl Hustler

Level 1
Verified
Jul 10, 2014
Well I have downloaded 360 TS and I love it, nice extras and neither of it's processes touch my CPU no matter what I do, even with all 5 engines... and only slightly when I open the programme itself, still need to give full a system scan a go but so far great :D
Got my AV for a while at least, thanks again :)

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123
M

MalwareT

Thread author
Well I have downloaded 360 TS and I love it, nice extras and neither of it's processes touch my CPU no matter what I do, even with all 5 engines... and only slightly when I open the programme itself, still need to give full a system scan a go but so far great :D
Got my AV for a while at least, thanks again :)

No problem ;) I'll test 360 TS in 3 video parts :)

Reactions: Karl Hustler

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.