Battle Avast Free Antivirus vs Qihoo 360 Total Security

Jogos

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
I think about these two antivirus, help me decide which one to choose. And I have a question whether in Qihoo 360 Total Security, I can choose whether you want to install modules such as Cleaner? I do not need this, and the Essential version is no longer being developed

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I think about these two antivirus, help me decide which one to choose. And I have a question whether in Qihoo 360 Total Security, I can choose whether you want to install modules such as Cleaner? I do not need this, and the Essential version is no longer being developed
Qihoo with Avira engine+bd on!

Avast too heavy and doenst score verry well.

Last edited:
Reactions: given

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
antiransomware: Qihoo > Avast
however, avast can be tweaked combined with some tweaks in windows which can provide a similar result or even better than Qihoo (disable Windows script host and powershell)
besides BD and avira engines, Qihoo cloud engine is really poor because it missed so so many old samples

anti-nonransomware malwares: Avast >> Qihoo

overall: Avast

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Hello,
it's been a long time that I test Avast, so I cannot say anything on it.

But I'm using Qihoo 360 TS.
It's running light on my old PC with 4 Gb.

I've put the BD engine ON for realtime and manual scan.
I've add the option "scan when opening" and that's all.

The bad: the ergonomy of the settings is strange (the settings are not all on the same place, it's confusing).

The adds are unobtrusive (at this time).
I think these two AV are good.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
The adds are unobtrusive (at this time)
Don't forget 360 has third-party Ads:
Q&A - Ads inside of Qihoo TS when starting pc ?

For an Ad-Free experience you have to subscribe: Poll - 360 Premium Membership for 360 Total Security Discussion

Avast has Upsell Ads, but from Avast only.
A malvertising risk waiting to happen, unless planned to prevent the rogue Ad. /ConspiracyTheory
The ads can be disabled in Qihoo by blocking both inbound and outbound connections to PromoUtil.exe via your firewall.
Same goes for Avast: Block inbound/outbound connections to AvastUI.exe to disable its ads.

As for which AV: I like them both. I feel Avast offers better overall protection with it's multiple layers (Signatures, DeepScreen, IDP, Behavioural) while Qihoo ends up with better signature detection with all engines turned on and better protection against ransomware if you react quickly enough with its HIPS. (A small tip: Instead of spam clicking block over and over when a HIPS alert pops up click the drop down menu next to block and select block all.)

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
For Ransomware threats, I think installing a Anti-Ransomware specialized program

Personally I would choose Avast and run it along with voodooshield free. No need for a specialized Anti-Ransom application. Voodooshield will cover more then any other. Then after you set up Avast in hardened mode with aggressive setting (I believe that's the option), you pretty much have all areas covered with a nice light configuration. 360 with avira and bitdefender engines on becomes quite a bit heavier then avast. Also the updates to the 2 engines seems like it is always a day behind.

My opinion. :) Avast free with voodooshield free.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Personally I would choose Avast and run it along with voodooshield free. No need for a specialized Anti-Ransom application. Voodooshield will cover more then any other. Then after you set up Avast in hardened mode with aggressive setting (I believe that's the option), you pretty much have all areas covered with a nice light configuration. 360 with avira and bitdefender engines on becomes quite a bit heavier then avast. Also the updates to the 2 engines seems like it is always a day behind.

My opinion. :) Avast free with voodooshield free.

Truth to be told, Voodoshield doesn't need any AV alongside it. I just keep Windows Defender for peace of mind. Avast might be too overkill.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Truth to be told, Voodoshield doesn't need any AV alongside it. I just keep Windows Defender for peace of mind. Avast might be too overkill.

Your right. I just brought Voodooshield into the mix when OP talked about adding a Anti-Ransom application to either Avast or 360. No need for one of those dedicated Anti-Ransom applications.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Yes, I've kept them to be "fair", but if there is a security risk because of a third party ad provider, (don't know if it's the case, I hope that Qihoo is mastering the risk !), maybe I will block it.
My criteria would be to block them if they become intrusive. Right now I find them perfectly acceptable. In terms of security there's little you can do besides block them. From my time using 360TS I only saw ads for products that Qihoo was associated with in some way such as Opera so I'm betting they have some kind of vetting process in place for the ads that appear in their products. (In such a competitive market It'd do a lot of damage to their reputation if a security vendor was pumping out malware.)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.