App Review Avast Free Hardened mode vs Avira Free - File Detection Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
Hmm,i dont understand? Why u put hardernmode on for a one demand test? That makes no sense..hardernmode dont detect anything..its something like hips that stops undetected malwares from running. u need to run the samples to see how much avast realy miss.

H

hjlbx

Avira Free real-time protection using Smart Extension allows Avira to decide which files to scan based upon content.

Avira real-time should have been set to All Files to make a more equivalent comparison with Avast Hardened Mode. Although, I would not expect anything other than a minor improvement in detection - if any at all.

Still very nice review.

I really like Avira, but user cannot depend on it all by itself... free, paid or otherwise.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hjlbx

Hmm,i dont understand? Why u put hardernmode on for a one demand test? That makes no sense..hardernmode dont detect anything..its something like hips that stops undetected malwares from running. u need to run the samples to see how much avast realy miss.

This is correct. Hardened Mode is nothing more than a "paranoid mode" that blocks any unknown (non-white-listed) files to be run.

Still, I think Avast real-time protection scans all files on-access (as opposed to filtering based upon content).

I could be wrong on this detail.

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
you should consider to allow avira scan all files and than put avast equal.

but still a very good review;)

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
Yep,nice video.Like the other guys said,with Avast in hardened mode try to run the samples remained...there's the real power of Avast.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.