avast! Free on Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
Does any avast! Antivirus Free user has it running on Windows 8 with all shields on and without WebRep plugin?

Got a system here where I have issues random slowdowns on chrome, BSODs randomly being generated out of nowhere.

I know there was a patch released last year but not sure if it is to overwrite latest build or not.

As a temporary measure, using Windows Defender in Windows 8.

If it was my system, I wouldn't think twice but it ain't mine and the owner likes avast!.

On a side note: removing avast sorted out Chrome slowdowns.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Biozfear said:
Does any avast! Antivirus Free user has it running on Windows 8 with all shields on and without WebRep plugin?

Got a system here where I have issues random slowdowns on chrome, BSODs randomly being generated out of nowhere.

I know there was a patch released last year but not sure if it is to overwrite latest build or not.

If it was my system, I wouldn't think twice but it ain't mine and the owner likes avast!.

My Aunt used to when she got her Win8 PC, But it kept slowing down her browsing speed and gave her a BSOD. So she is using the built in Win8 Defender.
Avast has been having a lot of tech issues for awhile now.

P

Plexx

Thread author
3link9 said:
Biozfear said:

My Aunt used to when she got her Win8 PC, But it kept slowing down her browsing speed and gave her a BSOD. So she is using the built in Win8 Defender.
Avast has been having a lot of tech issues for awhile now.

Checked their forums. Mixed responses on the patch for W8 systems.

Wish they would work on getting V7 fully ready on W8 (without breaking anything on W7) instead of releasing a V8 Beta build...

I got a feeling I am going to see a dejavu: BitDefender 2013 during its Beta to 1st month of release.

I will just have to explain to the owner about avast.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
A lot of third-party security products are still not 100% Windows 8 compatible. I'm just using Windows Defender and Windows Firewall on my Windows 8. I'm going to wait for about 6 months then I might change to third-party solutions, right now Windows Defender and Windows Firewall with UAC is more then enough protection. I very seriously doubt that malware can get passed UAC unless you allow it to.

Thanks.:D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
Note that Chrome is slower on win8

Yes I will agree, IE appears to be the fastest to launch and load pages.
Even Firefox is much faster then Google Chrome.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Littlebits said:
A lot of third-party security products are still not 100% Windows 8 compatible. I'm just using Windows Defender and Windows Firewall on my Windows 8. I'm going to wait for about 6 months then I might change to third-party solutions, right now Windows Defender and Windows Firewall with UAC is more then enough protection. I very seriously doubt that malware can get passed UAC unless you allow it to.

Yeah with your smarts, Its really all you need. :D

Yeah, IE10 is really awesome.
Chrome also has some privacy concerns that keep me distanced. :s

Imran

Level 1
Feb 27, 2012
Littlebits said:
Umbra Corp. said:

Yes I will agree, IE appears to be the fastest to launch and load pages.
Even Firefox is much faster then Google Chrome.

Both of you are right :)
But Chrome on my Windows 8 is much Faster and smoother than before i don't know why :shy:

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Biozfear said:

You online use free AV's : U poor bro?

OT : My girlfriend uses the free av with NO problem,did you tried to ask it on Avast forums? maybe they can help you more than MalwareTips can.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Payback said:

OT : My girlfriend uses the free av with NO problem,did you tried to ask it on Avast forums? maybe they can help you more than MalwareTips can.

Read properly first before attempting to jump into conclusion on the above quote in bold.

Hint:

Also, I do support and pay for software that is reliable. Just because I am now using avast! in my gaming machine, does not mean I cannot afford.

As for your second post, I have checked avast forums as you can see later down the thread, not to mention that if you check avast! forums, you will see that W8 and avast! is not working at 100%.

I posted on MT as opposed to avast! forums because very single time I tried getting some feedback on some issues with avast, all replies I get are from random members and not avast! personnel. Also, MT has a large database of users that are on updated systems, as opposed to some of the posters over avast! and are not fanboys.

PS: I see you have not bothered reading the forum rules and keep infringing the same old rule over and over again.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Payback said:

If I could not afford Paid Antivirus and had to use a free solution I would be offended by this remark.

One suggestion before you quote someone in your reply you might want to refer to this link

http://malwaretips.com/showteam.php

Payback said:

Personally if I had a similar problem as the OP this reply would have offered me absolutely no help

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.