Battle Avast free or Panda free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron Mordo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 28, 2015
i want to know mt preferences between these 2 good free product. :)
as for user friendliness and interface i think both are nice.

D

Deleted member 2913

Avast in my opinion.
Good signs & proactive.
But do custom install to avoid craps & also needs to watch the upgrade to avoid craps.

Panda free I dont like.
Decent signs. Proactive is weak. GUI in my opinion looks like adverts placed on a board.
Sometimes cant neutralize threats & gives a link & that link takes you to a page that I find not good for average users. Dont know if this has changed now.

Offtopic - I find Bitdefender free good too.
Good signs & very good proactive. Webshield is very good in malicious/phishing.
Totally automatic & no options. This you may not like.
Light & effective.

Reactions: Baron Mordo
Y

yigido

Actually, I do not like Avast more but I suggest Avast again.
Because it has a huge user base (230Millions), Panda has 30Millions. So Avast's file intelligence can see more files than Panda.
Both products are light on system. I tried both of them. You cannot feel them while working on your PC.
About protection, I prefer Avast again. It has Avast NG, DeepScreen, Hardened modes etc. These good free features give more protection to you. Panda's offline protection is not good at all. It is mostly a cloud antivirus.
About privacy and ad banners, Avast can mislead you. It has ad popups, they often trade their paid softwares in free version. You cannot close those popups. Panda has no advertisement popups, you can close it under the settings.. It is free and clean product.
All in all, try both and make your decision.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Avast because I find that it has a better engine and also the heuristics are stronger whereas panda relies very heavily on the signatures and the cloud to detect threats and therefore the zero day portion of the AV is not very developed and will not detect threats as efficiently as Avast.

However if you have a computer that has very limited ram and CPU power then panda might be a better choice for you because it has very low impact on your system due to everything being up on the cloud. Of course this means that you will only receive full protection when you are connected to the cloud and not when you are offline.

If you are interested in cloud AVs there are many other out there that have a better detection than panda like 360 and the very much debated Tiranium AV which has seemed to died down in the recent months.

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
for a consistent protection I recommend avast . It has modules for effective protection in general, like hardened mode to block unknown files, has other great technologies. Panda is a little inconsistent in my opinion, need improvements. Is a cloud AV, so if you dont have intenet conection his detection will decrease. Other negative point is offer a toolbar for browser protection...

other good free antivirus Qihoo 360 and bitdefender free , these two look good choices to me, besides having good detection capacity .

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would give the edge to Avast but Panda is also very good.Panda is a bit lighter on the system however that depends on the system also.I guess since they are free you could give them both a try and see which one you like better.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Analyzing all the flips and downs, then Avast holds everything. I've appreciate where the limitations of Avast from paid version is too far from how we determine the 'limited' version it contains from other products.

You have Deepscreen + Cloud + Hardened Mode + HIPS (soon for stable version) + current protection capabilities which made it better excel on other where the thing is tweak to make it really better.

Meanwhile Panda Cloud is good where no need to manual updates however in terms of protection then that's a little bit problem however good for install and forget mechanism.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Avast has my vote, Panda is good too.

Keep in mind that Avast Free (the beta version) has HIPS. Soon the stable version will have too.

If you look closer only ESET, Kaspersky, AVAST, DrWeb, Symantec and Intel Security (McAfee) have ability to recognize, emulate, unpack, and remove something more serious than joking viruses.

Lately a lot of so called good AV detects Ransonware as ZBot (Zeus Botnet), many more.

Baron Mordo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 28, 2015
wow didnt expect this much response o_O
thank you for all your insight, i will definitely take it to consideration since now i'm still using built-in windows defender

Reactions: Solarlynx

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Both are top class Anti virus softwares. Panda has the best Zero day defence compared to any free antivirus (even comparable to paid AV) and it's much faster and lighter than Avast Free too. So I personally slightly inclined towards recommending Panda Free over Avast Free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.