Advice Request Avast Free, Premium, Ultimate?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What happened to these;
  • Avast Antivirus Pro
  • Avast Internet Security
  • Avast Premier
-https://www.avast.com/compare-antivirus

Edit: Were existing paid users migrated to Premium, or are legacy versions still supported?

Last edited:
Reactions: JB007

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
And users will choose the free (Avast apparently wants them to).

Nah. Avast makes money out of cross-selling, upgrading free users, making them buy cleanup/antitrack/VPN separately and then also promoting non-Avast products (such as Google Chrome) in their products/installers.

Avast wants you to install the free version, because immediately after doing that, you will get a "gift" to upgrade to Premium/Ultimate at a much reduced price.

In any case, retail shops and resellers (online and offline) are giving out the licenses for much cheaper than on Avast's site. Avast is very much aware of this as well.

The products have been streamlined for both Avast and AVG: No more "Antivirus Pro". Only free, Internet Security/Premium and Ultimate/All-In-One.

Avast IS and Avast Premier users both get free upgrades to Avast Premium Security.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Were existing paid users migrated to Premium, or are legacy versions still supported?
They were migrated:
If you already have Avast Pro Antivirus, Avast Internet Security, or Avast Premier version 7.x or later, you do not need to uninstall your current version. Avast Antivirus setup automatically detects these versions and upgrades the existing installation to Avast Premium Security (for PC, Single-Device).

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
And users will choose the free (Avast apparently wants them to).
It's the most complete free antivirus. Complete protection plus a Hardened Mode ("application control"), a Network Inspector, a Password Manager without a limit number of passwords, a Rescue Disk, a Game mode that suspend notifications and non-gaming processes. What I like about them is that they don't leave as much things, sometimes important ones to the paid versions only, like others do.

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
It's the most complete free antivirus. Complete protection plus a Hardened Mode ("application control"), a Network Inspector, a Password Manager without a limit number of passwords, a Rescue Disk, a Game mode that suspend notifications and non-gaming processes. What I like about them is that they don't leave as much things, sometimes important ones to the paid versions only, like others do.
All these stuff offered for free! Do not you see that there must be sth wrong? You pay with your data. I do like Avast and wanted to get over what was mentioned in the news but you know, I do not think they will improve and what they did will affect them badly.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Nah. Avast makes money out of cross-selling, upgrading free users, making them buy cleanup/antitrack/VPN separately and then also promoting non-Avast products (such as Google Chrome) in their products/installers.

Avast wants you to install the free version, because immediately after doing that, you will get a "gift" to upgrade to Premium/Ultimate at a much reduced price.

In any case, retail shops and resellers (online and offline) are giving out the licenses for much cheaper than on Avast's site. Avast is very much aware of this as well.

The products have been streamlined for both Avast and AVG: No more "Antivirus Pro". Only free, Internet Security/Premium and Ultimate/All-In-One.

Avast IS and Avast Premier users both get free upgrades to Avast Premium Security.
I believe their biggest user base is those who use the free version. Moreover, many eBay users sell activation codes that expire in 40 years and I am sure Avast is aware of that too. I am quite sure that it is not their paid tire that make them survive but rather users' data. They made millions before they shut down Jumpshot.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
All these stuff offered for free! Do not you see that there must be sth wrong? You pay with your data. I do like Avast and wanted to get over what was mentioned in the news but you know, I do not think they will improve and what they did will affect them badly.
I don't care. You pay with data in Windows, Facebook and Google anyway. You name it... It's the same data 🤪 Even assuming that other AVs don't do the same (haha), it's a completely pointless discussion, I don't understand the people who keep bringing it up.
What do you think other free AVs like Kaspersky do with your data... Just because they leave one or two more features to the paid version are they angels?
If you care that much you then shouldn't use the internet.
I'm getting tired of this subject.

Last edited:

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
I don't like AV companies password managers, what if I install another AV and it messes up with the competency password manager?
I like it because it's part of the AV, instead of having yet another program running on my pc, with yet another account. If you need to change AV (which you shouldn't, after carefully thought decision), you can export your passwords and import them to the new AV/program. Same thing if you use some other password manager and decide to install another one.

Last edited:

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
I like it because it's part of the AV, instead of having yet another program running on my pc.
If you need to change AV (which you shouldn't after carefully thought choice), you can export your passwords and import it to the new AV/program.
Bitwarden runs as browser extension, no need for admin privileges or local installs, it's free and cross-platform

Reactions: blackice

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Bitwarden runs as browser extension, no need for admin privileges or local installs, it's free and cross-platform
So does the Avast one. One less account, I just like to have everything in one place whenever possible.

Last edited:

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Bitwarden is a mature software, been using it since it launched and I have 120+ entries, no nags just gets the job done.
I prefer to trust my passwords to strong security companies like Avast or Kaspersky than to a small software that appeared 4 years ago. Probably just paranoia.
I might give it a shot someday if I return to the russian squad.

Last edited:

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Are you saying you trust your strong passwords because of Avast? thats a bad idea tbh, you are lazy to sign up accounts on any website i guess

Well let me tell you a question which browser are you using?

Reactions: stefanos

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Are you saying you trust your strong passwords because of Avast? thats a bad idea tbh, you are lazy to sign up accounts on any website i guess

Well let me tell you a question which browser are you using?
No, I'm saying that I prefer to have them store there than on some small software that almost no one ever heard of. And it's just convenient, everything is together, there's no need to bring more stuff to the mix.
Edge,

Reactions: stefanos

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I don't care. You pay with data in Windows, Facebook and Google anyway. You name it... It's the same data 🤪 Even assuming that other AVs don't do the same (haha), it's a completely pointless discussion, I don't understand the people who keep bringing it up.
What do you think other free AVs like Kaspersky do with your data... Just because they leave one or two more features to the paid version are they angels?
If you care that much you then shouldn't use the internet.
I'm getting tired of this subject.
"Even assuming that other AVs don't do the same (haha), it's a completely pointless discussion, I don't understand the people who keep bringing it up."

Well, you can say innocent until proven guilty? I remember @ForgottenSeer 58943 post about how much telemetry both Avast and AVG send way before the disclosed information about them selling data. That is not the only reason I stopped using Avast or AVG. Lately, both products have been causing issues with Windows updates and browsers and even BSOD. I don't like the way to tamper with browsers (e.g. the constant alert by FF that some AVG users cannot access their passwords and the "managed by your organisation" message in chrome.). I have not ever used the free version of Avast or AVG. Moreover, privacy-invading option is settings are selected by default and do you what they in the min or so after you install the product and before unchecking these options. Is there any guarantee that "paid" user who opted out of these options were not affected by data selling?

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
No, I'm saying that I prefer to have them store there than on some small software that almost no one ever heard of. And it's just convenient, everything is together, there's no need to bring more stuff to the mix.
Edge,

Edge? ok i wonder why didnt you use Avast browser instead of ?

1*9IDUBAuAbN4WvOhWZQZPOA.jpeg

• HaHa
Reactions: Divine_Barakah