Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
Avast free vs Bitdefender free for newbies about security. You can sugges other free products that are easy and protect well. Only antivirus.

Reactions: marg and Šovelén

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Rolo,

Qihoo didn't detected any system files or some perfectly safe popular program files on your system?

On my system it had detected Tally, 1 of my brothers simple excel work files & 2 detection I couldn't make out what were those.

I would like it to give another try.

You are an expert & running it. So I would like to ask you couple things that no one answered or know about on Wilder & here on MT.

I want to use 360 Total Security Essentials.
I want to use it with 360 protection features only i.e Avira & Bd disabled, what you say?
Guess Avira & Bd disabled there will be no offline protection, right?

And the most important thing, if you would help me in this then I could install it on my family systems too.
HIPS - 360 has HIPS features too. I want to use it as an AV, no HIPS features i.e dont want all those popups program is creating startup, modifying registry, etc.. For this I have to use custom protection but dont know what all to disable so that HIPS features are disabled i.e no popups that I mentioned above.
now days qihoo 360 is on the top at least for the last 2 years, what will happen tomorrow who knows
I would go with 360, I've been using the 360IS for the last 6 moths on 10 computers with no problem

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its a case to case basis especially the prevalence of the file. which Qihoo may trigger FP but few of computer I saw installed Qihoo does not provide any exaggerated results.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Qihoo didn't detected any system files or some perfectly safe popular program files on your system?
Popular, no, I can't think of anything except some early Win10 files (debatable on whether that's 'popular'). It flagged Ditto clipboard manager but most everything does (it's unsigned, hooks into clipboard, and talks on the network...should be concerned if it weren't flagged). It's BB flagged the ESDtoISO utility but, then again, it's a command script messing with system files on a beta OS (and people think 360 doesn't have a BB).

I want to use it with 360 protection features only i.e Avira & Bd disabled, what you say?
First, why disable those? You could always try them and if you don't like them, disable them; you're not stuck with one decision. Next time I test, I'll try with the other engines disabled to see the result. I don't think about it much since performance isn't an issue for me. I will say 360 fully enabled is still far faster than Avast! fully enabled and has better detection rates.

Guess Avira & Bd disabled there will be no offline protection, right?
Incorrect: QVMII engine is offline, separate from the Cloud engine (hence, four)

I want to use it as an AV, no HIPS features i.e dont want all those popups program is creating startup, modifying registry, etc..
Click on the Protection: On button, Configure button, then select "Custom":

Untitled.png

D

Deleted member 2913

Installed 360 & did couple scans.
All are FPs. Tally detection is correct as its crack.
Attached is the screenshot.

Attachments

• SCR.png
    SCR.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 354
D

Deleted member 2913

Rolo,

I did some testing with harmless samples.
File Protection is HIPS feature (Attached is the screenshots). If File Protection is disabled then I dont get these popups.
File Protection & Registry Protection seems HIPS features.

Malicious Behavior Blocking is not HIPS feature. If MBB is disabled then with the option "scan when saved" enabled...malware is not detected, & with the option "scan when opened" enabled...malware is detected but no detection alert.
So MBB is required to be enabled for malware detection & detection alert.

For now it seems File & Registry protection are HIPS features.
Dont know if Keylogger Protection will give HIPS popups or malware detection alert?
Guess Network Protection will block malicious connection & notify?

Attachments

• SCR.png
    SCR.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 399
  • SCR1.png
    SCR1.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 382
D

Deleted member 2913

Did a little test again.
As mentioned above with screenshots File Protection is a HIPS feature.
Yes, Registry Protection is a HIPS feature (Attached is a screenshot)

Malicious behavior Blocking could be behavior blocker & not HIPS feature (Attached is a screenshot...I get this popup only when MBB is enabled). And notice the popup mention "suspicious" so could be MBB looks for suspicious/malicious behavior.
And disabling MBB automatically disables Keylogger protection.

Any harmless sample you know to test keylogger protection?

Attachments

• RP.png
    RP.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 429
  • MBB.png
    MBB.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 413
D

Deleted member 2913

I haven't tested keyloggers specifically.

Those FPs are Windows updates?
Those FPs I guess--
1. Unable to open executable file - I guess it means .exe is not working. But its working fine. Comodo Cleaning Essentials - Quick Repair also shows .exe OK. It seems 360 is wrongly detecting this.
2. Domain name resolution file (Hosts) exception - I guess this is related to Unchecky as it adds rules in Hosts file.
3. autorun.inf - This is TeamViewer portable file.
4. rundll32.exe - As per VirusTotal this file is safe.
So to me all seems FPs.

I have enabled Avira & Bd.
Boot, browsing, programs opening, etc... everything seems good.

Currently full scan is going on & system, browsing, etc... is still light & good.

Attached is the screenshot of taskmanger.
Qihoo is good in taskmanger?

Attachments

• SCR.png
    SCR.png
    161 KB · Views: 327
Last edited by a moderator:

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
sysnative: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...187(v=vs.85).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I don't think you want to "guess" when things may be modifying your OS files; you have to verify the falseness of a positive.

Unable to open...perhaps it was locked...without knowing the file, I can't guess much. Try right-clicking and scanning that file.

Modifying hosts is a prevalent malware activity; I assume Qihoo saw changes upon installation and alerted you (not FP).

Glancing at Task Manager is an absolutely useless method in assessing a program's resource efficiency.

autorun.inf on the hard disk is highly unusual but odd that it flagged it since it won't do anything in its current location; it's only used in the root of removable media to launch an executable when autoplay is enabled (does nothing on its own).

D

Deleted member 2913

sysnative one I edited in my previous post. As per VirusTotal its safe.

Unable to open executable file - I guess it means .exe file entension. .exe file extension is fine.

Hosts detection - It was a quick scan & not realtime scan. All the detection I have mentioned is quick scan & rightclick scan results. How to check Hosts file manually? I will check if anything other than Unchecky is there.

autorun.inf is TeamViewer portable file i.e its in TV portable folder.

360 has an option to disable Windows autoplay. I have manually disabled "use autoplay for all media & devices" on system...is 360 option the same?

There is no password protection. I do miss it as its a shared system.
Hope Glasswire FW will not be added into 360TSE...if its added will uninstall 360. 360 own FW is welcome.

On 360 website offline databases for Avira & Bd are same for 360TS & 360TSE? I didn't checked the page during download whether I was on 360TS page or 360TSE page. Now I noticed both 360TS & 360TSE page have offline databases.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
It's telling you it was unable to open a particular executable, not that the exe file association was broken.

That autorun.inf may be part of the TeamViewer portable media but it is not part of the program. Delete it and see. Or open it in a text editor. Or read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorun.inf

It's just a link to install GlassWire; it doesn't come with it.

TSE just doesn't have the extra fluff TS has; otherwise, same thing.

Third-party firewalls are a gimmick. They do nothing WAF doesn't already do: they both allow/block traffic per specified rules and WAF isn't buggy.

D

Deleted member 2913

Full scan completed & detected Rollback Home Edition installer as threat.
It does give quite a few FPs. Hope it dont give probs with Windows Updates & System Files.
I will try for few days & see how it goes.

Rogueabc

Level 1
Verified
Jul 16, 2015
From my experiences, Bitdefender free is lighter than Avast Free, about the real world system impact avast is better, for the UI i like Bitdefender because it's simple and doesn't have annoying ads, but Bitdefender doesn't have so much features compared to avast.

i recommend Avast Free Because it has a good detection rates and features such as HIPS (new feature)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.