App Review Avast free vs Fileless Malware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Orion

Level 2
Verified
Apr 8, 2016
What a coincidence!
The CIA probably prefers you use all the other antivirus solutions;), because they either didn’t detect the CIA’s malware or only dumped the execution information into the log file.

Note that though it was published by wikileaks 2 day ago the test is old and done with AIS 2013 so if done with latest Avast IDP can stop it.

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Looks like CIA doesn't like Avast stopping their malware much either:
[Sarcasm Alert] New (In)dependent tester awards CIA-graded certification
Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 6.11.18 PM.png Untitled.png Screenshot (1612).png

Reactions: codswollip and Visa

The CIA probably prefers you use all the other antivirus solutions;), because they either didn’t detect the CIA’s malware or only dumped the execution information into the log file.

Note that though it was published by wikileaks 2 day ago the test is old and done with AIS 2013 so if done with latest Avast IDP can stop it.

It is wrong to assume what was true in 2013 is true today. The CIA has almost certainly moved-on to new attacks that can bypass today's most popular security solutions. Bypassing security software is a part of their mandate and they will not stop.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
It is wrong to assume what was true in 2013 is true today. The CIA has almost certainly moved-on to new attacks that can bypass today's most popular security solutions. Bypassing security software is a part of their mandate and they will not stop.
Of course. I only had to add (or rather, elaborate) a little to that 'sarcastic alert' from Avast, and that was from 2012.
A single instance, new or old, need not change your perspective towards something. They do progress in ways and means.

Of course. I only had to add (or rather, elaborate) a little to that 'sarcastic alert' from Avast, and that was from 2012.
A single instance, new or old, need not change your perspective towards something. They do progress in ways and means.

My intent is not to change anyone's perspective regarding any security solution - just to inform users that these WikiLeaks releases give only a small sliver of a much bigger picture.

Furthermore, just because a security program does not block CIA, NSA, Russian, North Korean, Chinese, or any other nation state malware does not necessarily mean that it is deeply flawed. As you point out, security software must be constantly improved and most vendors do a decent job at it.

You are advanced user that has been around so you know what I mean.

Orion

Level 2
Verified
Apr 8, 2016
I would agree the test is far too old and would be wrong to assume anything :)

I was just ignorant while posting that....I didn't knew people on here scrutinize every single detail?!

Also I have seen the bigger picture thing earlier well at the end I am more interested in reading:
"Survey(spying or whatever) Of target was not completed"

Last edited:

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
This is kinda throwing a wrench in my all Windows Security set up.

Because if it doesn't actually install, I don't think "Apps from Windows only" or Smartscreen Block would stop it. Or maybe it would, I don't know.

File less is rare right now, but that's how all malware starts out I guess.

Great video series

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
nice job cruelsister!

manha de carnaval, i like.
Agreed. :)
So soothing music as well. :)
My wife, whom had an upset stomach, awoke as I was watching cruelsister's review; and commented on how nice it sounded.
I gave her a soda cracker, and turned up the volume as she lay back down.
Awesome music!
Awesome music goes very well with awesome reviews, and likewise this was very enjoyable to play again!

Thank you @cruelsister !

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.