• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Users those use Avast Hardened Mode... plzz share your experience---

Which hardened mode you use & why?
Did you experience it blocking Windows Updates or system/critical files, etc...?
Do you experience it blocking much & so could be prob for average users?

I would like to know the general & hardened mode experience especially on Win 10 32/64.

Reactions: Logethica

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I tested avast for about 3 months under normal computer usage and downloading some software triggered hardened mode blocking but mostly it was fine.

It has never blocked Win Updates.

As for #3 an average user should know enough to use hardened mode effectively. Although you are perfectly fine off with "softened" mode :D

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
The last version of avast that i used was v5 and it ran great and then suddenly avast turned into an ad-infested bloated mess.
Pity as it used to be a good solid antivirus until the user interface became an ad filled eyesore which i could not stomach any longer.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
i tested hardened mode for a week, not sure how it works but when offline it is useless (at least for anciente malware) from time to time it will also block good and safe programs as well, also is very weak against unknown program (like the ones you code while programming)

mode: both, moderate & aggresive
windows 8.1 x86

PDT: i notice that avast is very weak when offline, am i or all its features rely entirely on cloud? (like sandbox, hardened mode and deep screen)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I have happily used Avast! Premier for the past year on Windows 8.1, Hardened Mode set at 'Moderate'. Similar to Chromatinfish 123's report, not a single Windows update was ever hampered. Hardened Mode triggered for me, as well, while installing Pale Moon portable browser's security patch upgrade as well as one other Slimjet browser update. I was alerted promptly, and then given a choice to enter my pre-set password to allow, or not, changes that were about to take place (very UAC-like!) then given the opportunity to opt out. I liked Hardened Mode, :) and you will too!:D

As Amiga500 related, likewise I have read that Avast!'s Free Version :eek:includes adds, although I've not experienced a single one:rolleyes: whilst using Premier.:cool:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
The last version of avast that i used was v5 and it ran great and then suddenly avast turned into an ad-infested bloated mess.
Pity as it used to be a good solid antivirus until the user interface became an ad filled eyesore which i could not stomach any longer.

You can block Avast ads permanently by blocking AvastUI.exe from accessing the internet using a firewall;)

Bitan1990

Level 1
Verified
Oct 19, 2015
I think Avast harden mode is a good addition to free version .It some time block good software , but I thik they will improve with time. I keep the harden mode on and it works fine for me .

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
AVAST hardened mode on Aggressive is Avast's most useful protection against zeroday malware. With it Avast joins Kaspersky, Webroot, Panda and Comodo as the few that have default deny protections, which is recommended by both the NSA and Australian Signals Directorate as the best protection against cyber attacks. On Moderate, hardened mode is not using default deny principles, and do not offer the same protection as one on Aggressive.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Users those use Avast Hardened Mode... plzz share your experience---

Which hardened mode you use & why?
Did you experience it blocking Windows Updates or system/critical files, etc...?
Do you experience it blocking much & so could be prob for average users?

I would like to know the general & hardened mode experience especially on Win 10 32/64.
Hardened mode does not detect extra malware - it simply blocks programs/executables that you MAY not want to run, I have never experienced it to block any important files, any files you DO want to run, just click add an exclusion, it will automatically open it. I don't recommend aggressive mode - it blocks too much and can get in the way, if any elderly/inexperienced people want to get on the internet, i doubt they are going to want to download/run anything aggressive mode would be perfect for that - hope it helps :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Been using Avast IS 2016 for about a little less than a month.I prefer hardened mode right now I have it set to moderate.
Aggressive is good but I prefer moderate as it doesn't bother me so much.
The average user would probably do better with hardened mode turned off as the will still have good protection

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Hardened mode does not detect extra malware - it simply blocks programs/executables that you MAY not want to run, I have never experienced it to block any important files, any files you DO want to run, just click add an exclusion, it will automatically open it. I don't recommend aggressive mode - it blocks too much and can get in the way, if any elderly/inexperienced people want to get on the internet, i doubt they are going to want to download/run anything aggressive mode would be perfect for that - hope it helps :)
This sounds more trouble than its worth.
An antivirus should be just that...An antivirus to detect viruses.
More bloat it would appear.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Been using Avast! IS for less than <1 week. Wondered if there is a config thread for it?
By far managed to find this only but seems it was outdated.
Avast IS tweaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.