Battle Avast Hardened Mode vs Voodooshield

DJPRMF

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 26, 2017
Hi,

In my system i have the Avast Premier + Voodooshield (and also Zemana Antilogger as companion for Avast).

I really like how voodooshield works and let me know of all the actions that can cause harm to the system. (im a little paranoid about what a software is doing or installing, so i don't mind a few alerts).
Overall, it's a great software.

But i also have Avast Premier, and have the Hardened Mode set to Aggressive.

My question is: can Avast Hardened Mode (aggressive) be a good alternative to the Voodooshield?
I know they don't have the exact same features (Voodooshield is more dedicated to this task, so should be better), but could Avast Hardened Mode do almost the same task and mantain the security?

BTW, the system is mostly used for internet, work, office, but sometimes have a few downloads and installs (software legit and from reliable sources only).

Thanks! :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
both are good options
avast + VS are even better

if you want to use avast alone, you must:
- disable windows script host
- disable powershell
- uninstall java, if you have
- be careful with cmd, .bat or other script files

you can search the guides how to do them on google

these are the fields where avast's hardened mode doesn't (or just partially) covered. After disabling these, avast will work at its best

edit: see this
Help Me Decide - Bitdefender Free vs. Avast Free vs AVG Free vs Panda Free

D

Deleted member 65228

BTW, the system is mostly used for internet, work, office, but sometimes have a few downloads and installs (software legit and from reliable sources only).
You mentioned it was Avast Premier, meaning you have access to many protection components such as the Behavior Shield and Web Shield, etc. IMO... More than enough.

You have to ask yourself, is combining Avast Premier with VoodooShield really that much more beneficial for you? Just because there is more security operating in the background doesn't necessarily mean you are "better" protected; it also depends on the configurations. The more products you have installed in general, the more attack vectors there are.

Since Avast Premier is more of a set and forget sort of thing/tweak a few things here and there and then it is pretty automated with many different components I would recommend this if you only want one solution, because I think Ai is less reliable on its own. If you think that Ai alongside Avast Premier will be good then go for it and use both.

You need to evaluate your needs when it comes to security software, and you seem to be doing alright (e.g. you do install new software but only after confirming their validity/trust and from reliable sources only). Only then will you know if you would rather use Avast Premier standalone, VoodooShield standalone or both. :)

DJPRMF

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 26, 2017
Thanks for the tips everyone :)

WSH + Powershell + Java are always disable...
And cmd, .bat, reg, etc are default to open in Notepad (never run them directly without know the content)...

As i said, im a little paranoid about security and what exactly the software is doing.
Better ask that stay quiet. I know now a little more, and will see how Avast+VS work together (until now they have been great).

Indeed this could be a little overkill, but i prefer have one more layer of security that say "sorry" while dealing with problems. :)
Also, thank for the software tips. Didn't know some of them, will check a little more for the future. :)

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Avast hardened mode is a great feature but Voodooshield (with virus total results of the blocked file) is much much better.
I used Avast free + Voodooshield few months ago but in my system there was a big conflict, so i uninstalled avast.
Now i use Voodooshield + Eset with no problems at all. Voodooshield for me is a ''must have'' so if an antivirus will not play well with voodooshield it's gone.

klaken

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
I do not know voodooshield and its list I trust more in the method of comodo (CIS) ...

A white list created with a blacklist is not 100% reliable no matter how much AV you put it ..

With avast (hardened) you have more than enough XD, with voodooshield and you are well protected ...
Personally you're not paranoid. put CIS with HIP, viroscope out of the sandbox ... That if it's paranoid and full of alerts XD ....

Reactions: Syafiq

DJPRMF

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 26, 2017
@Aarush @Quassar Indeed, VS is great with that. But i personally already have the practice of upload any new/unknown file to VirusTotal first. VS i use more because of it detection of actions in the system...
And malwarebytes i have to say: since V3 - NOPE. I have a lifetime license and had excluded since the new version. It was a awesome software, but the new version is too buggy, uses a lot or RAM/CPU and the software updates have been decreasing a lot. It have a great detection ratio, thought...

@MikeV Can you describe the conflict? just to be alert about that. For now appears to be working just fine :)

@klaken Comodo has a great firewall, but the CIS never called me for attention :p
possible could give that a spin some day. And indeed, "paranoid" that still likes of use the computer resources to do other things... :p

klaken

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
Comodo is not heavy ... just to alert you to anything that is not on your white list. What they verify (they also use the base of VT, it was measured and they told me that it occupied XD) ... Unless you make it paranoid, it warns you until of the paint

The Comodo firewall already has the power of HIP, whitelist, sanbox and Viroscope. Neither need AV ... you can combine it with any AV and believe me it will be well protected ...

Hip personally I do not like (too much for me) ... But I like the sandbox and that's why I take your lite version (comodo cloud) ...
aVAST HARDENED and you are plenty .. just relax XD

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
[USER=12584 said:
@MikeV[/USER] Can you describe the conflict? just to be alert about that. For now appears to be working just fine :)

System start up, Multi tasking, system was so slow that was a nightmare (especially when avast behavior blocker was enabled)
System was a little bit better, but still slow to respond even after avast tweaks (behavior blocker off and some other changes to file shield settings).
When i let avast run alone (voodooshield uninstalled) system was great, all back to normal.
But as i wrote in my previous comment Voodoodshield is a ''must'' for me so avast has gone.
Same happen to Sophos home as well.
Someday i will try Kaspersky free to see if it's working well with voodooshield.....
For now Eset+voodooshield working together like a charm....

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
I to run Avast Premier and Voodooshield. I had this combo before but uninstalled it because browsing, software downloads became super slow. Now I figured I would try it again with the new Voodooshield 4.09b and everything is running smooth. I to have Avast on hardened mode but I switched Zemana Antimalware Premium to free. So now I'm using Avast Premier, Voodooshield Pro4.09 and Unchecky, I also use Windscribe vpn once and a while. This combo so far in running very smooth for me.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I to run Avast Premier and Voodooshield. I had this combo before but uninstalled it because browsing, software downloads became super slow. Now I figured I would try it again with the new Voodooshield 4.09b and everything is running smooth. I to have Avast on hardened mode but I switched Zemana Antimalware Premium to free. So now I'm using Avast Premier, Voodooshield Pro4.09 and Unchecky, I also use Windscribe vpn once and a while. This combo so far in running very smooth for me.

This is an excellent combination of software. I have been testing out Avast Premier and Avast Free in VMware Workstation along with Voodooshield and the combination is amazing. What one doesn't stop in my trials the other one does. It's like a work of art! haha Dan has done a superb job with Voodooshield. (y)(y)

Windscribe is a great VPN that I have been using for a long time now. I haven't had any issues or conflicts with this running alongside Avast or Voodooshield or anything else for that matter. OH! Windscribe has updated their Windows client along with most of their other clients. If you haven't updated yet I would strongly recommend that you do upgrade your clients to stay up-to-date with the latest changes that they have made. :)

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Avast hardened mode is a great feature but Voodooshield (with virus total results of the blocked file) is much much better.
I used Avast free + Voodooshield few months ago but in my system there was a big conflict, so i uninstalled avast.
Now i use Voodooshield + Eset with no problems at all. Voodooshield for me is a ''must have'' so if an antivirus will not play well with voodooshield it's gone.
I use avasy free + Voodooshield many time without problems.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.