Battle Avast Internet Security 6 vs Bitdefender Total Security 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Putting the two head on head there are different aspects one could take from each suite

Bitdefender gets regular updates almost every half hour while avast is about every 2 or 4
Avast has a sandbox and safe zone
Bitdefender has a built in page blocker
Bitdefender has backup,vulnerability scanner, encryption, tune up and a firewall that is not windows firewall
Bitdefender has 24/7 live technical support

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
RE: Avast Internet Security vs Bitdefender Total Security 2011

Even if those things are true, You are comparing a internet security to a total security, a total suit is bound to have 'more'.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011

The only things that would change if you went for Bitdefender Internet security are backup,vulnerability scanner, encryption, tune up

K__M

Jun 14, 2011

Don't forget Avast's:

Boot-time scanner
Intelligent Scanner
Green computing

http://www.avast.com/en-us/internet-security#tab3 :)

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

In all honesty I don't like neither but if I had to choose between this
two, hands down Avast is the winner. Whats the reason? The time
that I tried BD, my XP became unusable. Its the only time, ever,
that an antivirus has slowed my PC. It was a real disappointment.

Bo

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011

What I didnt like of Avast was the firewall. It would constantly block me connecting to newsgroups until I made a rule in the windows Firewall.

K__M said:
Don't forget Avast's:

Boot-time scanner
Intelligent Scanner
Green computing

http://www.avast.com/en-us/internet-security#tab3 :)

So if you did a full scan, nothing would really have to be re scanned unless changed?

bo.elam said:

Bo

When did you try Bitdefender? So far it feels very light , almost as light as Avast!

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Avast Internet Security vs Bitdefender Total Security 2011
Total Security versions usually have a back-up and tune-up features when compared with a standard Internet Security Suite.As a side note I can tell you that Avast is working to create their own Total Security with a password manager from RoboForm and a back-up feature.

Facts :

Avast Internet Security 6 vs Bitdefender Internet Security 2011

In the latest AV-Comparatives test Bitdenfender IS 2011 manage to get a better score than Avast IS.
AV-Comparatives Whole Product Test (June 2011)
Avast Internet Security 6 : blocked 95,5% + 2,6 User Dependent ; Compromised 1,9%
Bitdenfender Internet Security 2011 : blocked 98,8% ; Compromised 1,2%

Opinions :

1. Antivirus
    I have tested both products and overall Avast antivirus engine seems to have a higher detection rate in real life.
  2. Extra-Features (HIPS,Firewall,Sandbox.....)
    Both products have a Behavior Blocker however in BitDefender the BB is much more polished and overall works better. Also this products have a Web Guard , I for one like more the Avast web guard.
    Bitdefender has an old-school firewall passes security decisions to the user , while Avast IS Firewall isn't perfect it will handle the program control automatically.

As a unique features for Avast IS :
    • avast! Sandbox - Provides an extra layer of security for you to run your PC and its applications in a virtual environment – where any attacks are thus targeted (instead of your real PC).
    • AutoSandbox
      Prompts users to run suspicious applications in the virtual Sandbox environment.
    • avast! SafeZone™
      Opens a new (clean) desktop so that other applications don't see what's happening - perfect for secure online shopping and banking - and leaves no traces once it's closed.
    • avast! WebRep
      Provides website reliability and reputation ratings according to community-provided feedback.

All the above feature give Avast IS a big advantage when compared with BitDefender IS.As far as I know Bitdefender is working on their 2012 products on a site advisor and Sandbox so soon we should have some of the features currently available in Avast also in Bitdefender.
  3. Overall prevention capabilities.
    Avast IS 4,5 / 5
    Bitdenfender IS 3,5/5
    Avast comes with a AutoSandbox which will run any heuristic suspicious file in a virtual environment, if we also take into account the site advisor and all the other shields, I would say that Avast IS can offer a better degree of prevention when compared with Bitdefender.
  4. System Impact
    Avast free version 6 is as light as feather! With memory consumption less than 10 MB during idle time, it is one the lightest antivirus that is available in the market today.
    Bitdefender can be heavy on some system.
  5. GUI
    As a design I like more the Avast IS UI , however the Bitdefender UI has different types of user interface for three different level of experts; this actually make sense and make thing easy for average users. The three user interfaces are – Basic, Intermediate and Expert.
  6. Usability (User friendliness)
    • Avast can generate some alerts from it's AutoSandbox
    • Bitdefender Behavior Blocker and Firewall can generate some alerts that the user will have to answer.

Videos :

Uploaded by MrXidus on Apr 9, 2011

Uploaded by MrXidus on Apr 8, 2011

Last edited:

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

darkelixa said:
When did you try Bitdefender? So far it feels very light , almost as light as Avast!
I tried it last year at the time when 2011 was coming out. I think probably
slowdown was due to my machine being XP. Some antivirus are coming
out working terribly on XP but fine on newer systems. I think thats what
happened. I had a license that was wasted.

Bo

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011

[*]System Impact
Avast free version 6 is as light as feather! With memory consumption less than 10 MB during idle time, it is one the lightest antivirus that is available in the market today.
Bitdefender can be heavy on some system.

Bitdefender on idle is using under 20 mb of ram, fairly light, dont even notice its there

With Avast Internet Security should windows firewall be turned off or on? As by default it leaves both avast and windows firewall on

K__M

Jun 14, 2011

darkelixa said:
With Avast Internet Security should windows firewall be turned off or on? As by default it leaves both avast and windows firewall on

You should leave it on.

spleentechie

Jun 25, 2012

bo.elam said:

Bo

What antivirus do you use?

P

Plexx

Stranger said:
malwarekiller said:
Its no more avast IS 6...its Avast 7 IS now :D

The thread is quite old at that time avast was 6 and bitdefender was 2011 now it is 7 and 2012 res....:D

You mean Bitdefender 2013 product lines since it got released not long ago, which is going to be my next review :)

I just hope scan times are faster than the beta...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.