Avast! made most popular on CNET!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Avast has made the most downloaded software on CNET for windows with 1,123,223 downloads last week while putting AVG in second place 1,041,346 Downloads last week.
Pretty awesome news with the recent release of Avast 7.

CNET most popular downloads

Its about time if I do say so myself.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Good to see Avast reach the top download on Cnet, what is even better is Avast doesn't allow Cnet to use their download wrappers on their software.

Thanks.:D

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Littlebits said:
Good to see Avast reach the top download on Cnet, what is even better is Avast doesn't allow Cnet to use their download wrappers on their software.

No Problem and Yeah its about time, I'm glad they don't allow cnet to use it's download wrapper.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
That's great to hear. Not surprised though that AVG was comming in second.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
thumbsup.gif

A job well done for Avast and all of its team members. They've come a long way in the AV world and have earned the spot for sure attracting alot of fans and users.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well even before Avast made some promising improvements on their product + on its popularity and interest by the users. And every time they made a major release more users downloaded it.

V

Vextor

Well done Avast!. And well done on forcing CNET to stop using the download wrapper on their software.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
UPDATE:
Avast is still number one on CNET!

Avast 7: 1,136,814 downloads last week
AVG 2012: 816,785 downloads last week

P.S.:
This is my 100 post too :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avast isn't as "light" as they claim to be, for me Avira Free and ESET NOD32/SS are lighter.

PS: By light I mean, system impact on performance.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avast was really known to be a superb free AV and good market share values so users were really convincing to used.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
Avast isn't as "light" as they claim to be, for me Avira Free and ESET NOD32/SS are lighter.

PS: By light I mean, system impact on performance.

Every system is different, however on most systems that I have tried all of the above AV's, Avira was the lightest.

I love Avast, but in some cases I do agree Avira and Eset Nod32 are lighter. But there are other systems where Avast runs the lightest.

But after AV's learn your files, the only time they will usually stall for a few seconds is when new files get added or when your browser's cache has new files in the temp folders that haven't been previously scanned.
You can disable web protection if it becomes a problem, your basic file scanner should still detect files if they are downloaded.

Sometimes Avast will pause Windows Explorer for a few seconds when opening a folder with a lot of exe files. I notice that it usually don't happen unless I download new files in that folder.

Sometimes Avast is slow at opening Windows Explorer for new removable devices. Of coarse not it isn't a problem for me that I can't deal with.

It all depends on how many files is on your system and in Windows folders, how fast the response time will be. Almost all AV's will run fast on an empty system, it is when you start adding things is what makes them run slower because they have more work to do then.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Wow avast free antivirus also made it to the top download in the Mac section on Cnet with over 73,000 downloads last week. Avast may be hard competition for other AV companies.

anitac

Nov 29, 2011
AVG is queen once again!

AVG: 1,548,831
Avast: 1,066,200

http://download.cnet.com/windows/most-popular/3101-20_4-0.html?tag=rb_wrap;rb_content;main

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
CNET User Reviews are different for AVG and Avast.

AVG - Link
Has reviews for All versions only.

Avast - Link
Has reviews for All and Current versions.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
anitac said:
AVG is queen once again!

http://download.cnet.com/windows/most-popular/3101-20_4-0.html?tag=rb_wrap;rb_content;main

I don't know how avast dropped about 250,000 downloads on Cnet. In my opinion avast is better than AVG.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
anitac said:
AVG is queen once again!

It is because AVG just released a new version 12.0 Build 2178a5019.

Anytime a new version is released, the downloads will increase.
Especially with AVG that uses Download.com as their default download site. Check back next week or just right after Avast releases a new version and you will see the positions change.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MrHacker said:
Avg is the Worst antivirus

AVG isn't the worst antivirus, but there are things that can be improved on in the program.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Avast made number 1 again :D
with:
2,042,901 Downloads last week compared to AVG's 1,431,445 downloads last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.